Thinking about the Powerdrive V2

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Them_2s

Reaction score
I recently acquired a 1968 Polarkraft 1448 V hull with a small gas motor but am looking into trolling motors for the bow and am seriously considering the Minn Kota Powerdrive v2 in either 50 lbs or 55 lbs. Not a huge tourny fisherman but have the possibility of fishing a few. Not wanting to jump up to a 24 or 36 volt system and this is my first boat build. I am also considering adding the Co-pilot later down the road. Has anyone used the co-pilot who could speak for or against the cost or the benifits. and is there anything special I should know about putting a trolling motor on this Vhull minus the framing I know I will have to do. Thanks for any input!!!

I have the power drive 2 and love it!!!! I also use the co-pilot and having the ability to control the trolling motor from anywhere in the boat is too cool! I am actually going to install the I-pilot later this year as well!!! It is a great choice and you will love it!!!!

If you think you will upgrade to i-pilot, then go with the Terrova instead of the Powerdrive.

After you upgrade a Powerdrive to i-pilot, you can ONLY use the remote and there is no foot pedal (well, it still exists, you just can't use it).

A Terrova can be used with the i-pilot remote and the foot pedal simultaneously.

I have the 12 volt 55lbs ipilot pd and love it. On my local trout lake, which is electric only, I pre-recorded a loop around the lake that we like to troll and now I can just sit back and relax, fish, enjoy the day and let the boat do the driving.

When I was shopping around for trolling motors I was trying to decide between the Pd and the Terrova. The Terrova was quite a bit more money and included a couple more options, like a foot pedal that I probably wouldn't use anyway. There are mixed feelings about using a remote or the foot control. I think that someone that is used to driving the boat from the front seat with their foot may not like the remote control. I've never actually used a foot control so I can't say if I'd like it or not, but the remote works real good and is very easy to use from anywhere in the boat.

If your going to buy new than just bite the bullet and buy the 55 ipilot and get the options that suit your needs. The latest version will sync up with the Humminbird fish finders.

I've got a Terrova 55 with IP, and have both the foot pedal and the remote, so I can control the boat from the front seat when I troll for crappie using the foot pedal, or the back of the boat when I'm doing something else, such as re-tying, getting a snack, etc., I also can sit at the console and watch the HDS 8 and still control the boat with the remote, and have rod holders front and rear to handle the style/method of fishing I am doing.

The Terrova gives you the option of using both, or you can remove the foot pedal if desired, with the PD, you will lose the foot pedal if you go with the IP, so its a preference thing more than anything else IMO. I wanted both and don't regret my decision.

Latest posts