Thinking of selling Alphas Ito 103A

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russ010

Reaction score
I'm thinking about selling my Daiwa Alphas Ito 103Ai. I've got it on a 6'6" GLoomis GLX rod right now, spooled with 15# PLine Halo. This is the only setup I've been able to get this rod to cast right on, and it's probably because I'm using to heavy a line for a finesse reel, which I think is really make for small to maybe medium crankbaits.

My biggest peeve with it is the spool. https://www.japantackle.com/Daiwa_reels/Daiwa_Alphas_ito.htm

This is the exact reel I have, the AI model, super tuned and all that jazz by mr. ito himself... anyways, I might just not know how to fill these types of spools, but if I get an overrun while I'm fishing - I have to literally pull every bit of line off the spool and try and start over again, only to do it again 10 casts later. I'm not using it for cranks much, this past weekend I used it for pitching jigs, and this is where a lot of my overruns were occurring. I can also throw a weightless texas rigged worm about 15-20 yards with no problem.

I'm wanting to set up my GLoomis GLX rod it's on now for strictly jigging... and I'm looking at the Daiwa Zillion Hyper Speed as a replacement...https://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwazillionhyperpreview.html
I'm not a Shimano fan... but this Core 100MGFV looks pretty good https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpageRLCSHIMANO-SCRF.html#

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on this - I'm not going to a spinning outfit, so don't even go there

Sounds like you might need to adjust the tensioner a little tighter if you are able to cast unweighted plastics, but pitching a jig causes a backlash. I have to adjust mine with every type of lure change I make.

I just sold my Ito 103a myself. I never had any issues with it, just wanted another Shimano. I do have a Metanium MG which I love, but it does not have an external brake control. For me that is not an issue. I had a super tuned Zillion high speed with all the bells and whistles (ceramic bearings, carbon drag, TD-Z parts) and It was a nice reel but not what I was looking for. If you like your Viento, you will love the Zillion.

the tension and brakes aren't the problem... it's that freaking spool (it's beveled on the edges, not like a regular spool). When it overruns, I have to take off every bit of line because of it way the line goes on.

https://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwaalphasIto.html check out the second page of this site and you'll see the spool. When I spool the line on, it runs up the sides, but as it starts to wind back to the other side, everything that went up the bevel, comes back down to the center - so there's about 4' of line just sitting clumped up on one side and the same thing happens on the other side.

Jim - what rod did you have your alphas ito on?

I've tried it on my Kistler LTA, Powell Max, and the only thing it works on is my 6'6" GLoomis GLX Heavy...

I might end up getting another rod for it - I want that GLoomis for jigs and I don't want to spend the money for a new GLoomis rod... I paid $50 for that one 2 years ago, well I stole it - the guy at the pawn shop had no idea what he was selling.

russ010 said:
Jim - what rod did you have your alphas ito on?

I've tried it on my Kistler LTA, Powell Max, and the only thing it works on is my 6'6" GLoomis GLX Heavy...

I might end up getting another rod for it - I want that GLoomis for jigs and I don't want to spend the money for a new GLoomis rod... I paid $50 for that one 2 years ago, well I stole it - the guy at the pawn shop had no idea what he was selling.

I had it on a 6'6 GLX. Medium I think 742?

well crap... looks like I'll be getting a new jig rod/reel setup...

I feel the bait monkey running down my back into my wallet...

I wonder if Tiffany snuck one of those monkey's she's holding in the picture on her website home with me.. I swear I think he lives on my shoulders sometime, but I have yet to see the sneaky little *******

So what are you saying exactly is the problem? How the line bunches up on the spool?, that your having backlashes, or your rod? If your putting some tension on the line while your filling the spool, I don't see how its "bunching up". If your reel is set up right, I wouldn't see why your are having that much trouble with backlashes(1 out of every 10 casts). :|

russ010 said:
w
I wonder if Tiffany snuck one of those monkey's she's holding in the picture on her website home with me.. I swear I think he lives on my shoulders sometime, but I have yet to see the sneaky little *******
:LMFAO: :LMFAO: :LMFAO:

I think one must gotten loose and headed North - thankfully it only stops at my house once in a while (I think Redbug has about 15 of those bait monkeys tied up in his garage that or he breeds them :lol: )

the main problem is the line on the spool... when I get home tonight I'll take pictures of what I'm talking about because I can't explain it here... once you see the pictures you'll understand more of what I'm talking about.

As far as rods - I have all 6'8, 6'9 & 7' rods.. the GLoomis I have is a 6'6, and that is the only lenght rod I can use to throw the bait any distance. I wanted to put the Ito on a different rod, but I can't because I don't have any other 6'6 rods.

The backlashes only happen when I flip/pitch jigs.. it's fine for casting, but that's not what I was wanting to use it for. I have other setups that will cast weightless worms (and I'm not talking about Senkos, I'm talking about 4-5" finesse worms with no weight)... I just read that this reel is the same as the Daiwa Sol which also is for small crankbaits and lightweight lures.

Captain Ahab said:
:LMFAO: :LMFAO: :LMFAO:
I think one must gotten loose and headed North - thankfully it only stops at my house once in a while (I think Redbug has about 15 of those bait monkeys tied up in his garage that or he breeds them :lol: )

I'm beginning to think I've got some in my garage too... it's amazing where I'm finding money to pay for all the nonsense I'm buying... I gotta slow down.. is there a Bait Monkey Anonymous group anybody knows about??

So are you wanting it to pitch/flip jigs, or are you wanting it to (cast) weightless plastics?

If your backlashing when your pitching jigs, seems like you would either need to adjust your cast knob(on the side of the reel), or just practice controlling the spool when you do pitch it. Thats something i've never really caught onto myself, although haven't really tried it enough to learn it anyway.

i was a part of a bait monkey Anonymous group and actually got my 30 day chip.That i but up for sale on ebay and bought more baits with the proceeds

redbug said:
i was a part of a bait monkey Anonymous group and actually got my 30 day chip.That i but up for sale on ebay and bought more baits with the proceeds

:---) :---) :---) :---) :---)
I believe you sold you chip - but have real doubts that it was a 30 day chip

Maybe a 30 minute - more likely a 30 second chip

:p :p :p

Bubba said:
So are you wanting it to pitch/flip jigs, or are you wanting it to (cast) weightless plastics?

If your backlashing when your pitching jigs, seems like you would either need to adjust your cast knob(on the side of the reel), or just practice controlling the spool when you do pitch it. Thats something i've never really caught onto myself, although haven't really tried it enough to learn it anyway.

I'm wanting to cast/flip jigs... I can control the spool with my thumb, that's not the problem... and believe me, I've tuned the thing 100 different ways with the tension knob and brake - no luck. It could be that I'm using too large of a line, and should probably drop down to 12lb and try it out. I'm going to leave it like it is now and just use it to throw weightless - OR SELL IT!

I'm going to get another reel for jigs - probably daiwa zillion anniversary edition

Hey before you go looking for a new rod or reel why not fix the problem and get a new spool? Ive seen a few for sale already with custom spools, I guess you not the only one that doesnt like that spool.

Captain Ahab said:
redbug said:

I'll have you know I haven''t purchased any new tackle this week!!!! of course i have been home sick in bed :wink:

redbug said:
Captain Ahab said:
redbug said:

I'll have you know I haven''t purchased any new tackle this week!!!! of course i have been home sick in bed :wink:

And it is only Wednesday

slim357 said:
Hey before you go looking for a new rod or reel why not fix the problem and get a new spool? Ive seen a few for sale already with custom spools, I guess you not the only one that doesnt like that spool.

Where have you seen some? I've seen a few, but they are all the same like mine, just a different color.

I did go out this evening to take pictures of my problem, but I got to playing with it a little more and practiced with pitching it, and with the same lure on it... it works fine while I'm not in the water, so maybe it has something to do with the wind because I like to fish into the wind. Come to think of it, I don't have that problem with it's not windy. Still though, I don't like that spool. I'm going to scale down to 10-12lb test line. But that Halo line is pretty thin for 15#, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. Probably keep it for light cranks and weightless worms, then get another jig rod/reel setup.

It is amazing how you accumulate stuff. I started my journey into fishing last year with maybe one spinning rod and one casting rod and an old box of half rusty lures. Now I have a rod rack full of rods n reels, and a tackle bag full of baits and hooks etc. I honestly don't remember spending the money! Boy am I glad I did though!! My next binge is probably going to be some jigs when I can get some extra cash. I still don't have any football jigs for fishing deep on my favorite lake.

Latest posts