Fox River-downstream from Fishing Cop

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickk

Reaction score
I wade fished today, my first time out this year. I think I only wade fished once last year. My plan was to get up fairly early and get home midday, it's an hour each way from my house...hence the infrequency. I set out for some river smallies armed with 3rd hand rod holster so I could take a baitcaster and a spin rig. Weapons of choice were:

-6'6" Kistler Mag TS MH b-caster
Shimano Chronarch MG51
Power Pro 20lb braid
-6'10" Daiwa Light & Tough spinning rod
Quantum Castalyst PTi 20
Power Pro 15lb braid

I rigged up and hit a eddy formed by a feeder creek, the creek is nearly dry right now though. I was fishing a swim jig on the b-caster and had a 2/0 hook(Hookerz) with a 4" Senko on the spin rig. I've been reading about the smashing takes on a swim jig and wanted in so I worked about a dozen casts hauling nothing but water. On my 2 cast with Senko I'm hooked up, largemouth(my first largemouth in that river ever) about 13" or so, strong fighter being a river dweller though. Several casts later to the same eddy I hook a nice smallie that fights hard. I had an audience with a kayaker that had just launched who was fishing too. He yells out "good one! looks about 18". I measured it against the rod and it was 17", that was a pretty good estimate from distance! I release it and he makes a cast and immediately hooks up, it's his first time fishing out of kayak and drifts downstream as he fights the fish, we say good bye =:)

I move across river and pick up a nice largemouth just shy of the smallie in size but a great fighter with 2 jumps.

The day ended up with 2 largemouth and about 10 smallies(3 were dinks). My last smallie was great, I was working a double bridge and I see 2 guys enter from the other side of the river. I was working my way to the upstream side of the bridge since I had picked a couple up in the morning. They bee-line right to just upstream from my spot but I still have room. A fish jumps, and me and the other guy are amped, I say "get him" but he's casting to the seaway. I make a long cast to where the fish airborned the second time and let the Senko fall and reel in the slack as I let it dead drift, the line tightens and I set it. This fish is on fire and peeling drag, no jumps but it took me 4 times in close to land it while it ran off some more drag. I had forgotten a camera today but I readied my phone after not getting pics of the larger morning fish. This one fought better anyway! Pardon the bad phone pics:

fighter_close-1.jpg

I look 300 lbs in this pic!
fishandfisher-1.jpg

Hey Nickk,

Looks like you had a great day and some good luck on the Fox. Where exactly did you wade in?? Next time you're coming in my way, give me a shout, maybe we can hook up for some fishing time together - or at least have lunch or something.

Anyway, glad you had a good day out my way......

Joe

Latest posts