Tiller extension handles

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetdrive1

Reaction score
I have a 30 hp outboard and was wondering if anyone has used an extension handle on thier moters? Are they safe?

I haven't used one on an outboard.If they're designed properly they are usually safe.I know a lot of people in New England use them on skiffs without any problems.

I am also interested in this for a 25hp. I did a quick search and all I could find was extensions for trolling motors.

If you do this,add a dead man switch to the motor if you don't have one.Most of the tiller extensions I have seen are home brew using a universal joint from car steering and a hollow aluminum tube with a bicycle grip.

I used one years ago on a Grumman 1542 with a 30-hp Evinrude. I used it only for bowfishing so that I could steer the boat into shallow water while standing up looking for carp and gar. It worked great but I echo the sentiment about using a dead man's switch on it. There were a couple of times when I got in a bit too shallow and got jolted toward the bow when the skeg bottomed out.

This is what I made with some tube I had.2 hose clamps to hold it on.

Attachments

• tin boat 005.jpg
    tin boat 005.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 3,347
  • tin boat 006.jpg
    tin boat 006.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 3,347
When I had my Smokercraft and my old johnson 9.9hp as a kicker, the tiller extender that I used, had a universal joint on it so I can use it at any angle. It clamped to the regular tiller handle with 2 big screws. I would use it as throttle only and use my johnson 50 lowered into the water as my rudder. Worked great for my application. I bought it a local boat store.. I think it was around 30 bucks..