Tiller to remote Yamaha

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VC-Racing

Reaction score
I'm new here and I'm trying to put a list of parts together to convert my 1989 Yamaha 25hp ESF tiller steer to a remote steer and 703 engine controls. Can anyone help me out? My local Yamaha dealer says it can't be done.. :cry: . I think it can, I just need to know where to start.....

everyone interested in doing this should take a look at the kit that used to be available for Johnson/Evinrude. it contained the bracket and etc. for cable hook up for throttle and for shifting. It was a very simple kit and the same type of setup should work on many if not all small outboards.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=316556#p316556 said:
tripwire » 29 May 2013, 21:16[/url]"]everyone interested in doing this should take a look at the kit that used to be available for Johnson/Evinrude. it contained the bracket and etc. for cable hook up for throttle and for shifting. It was a very simple kit and the same type of setup should work on many if not all small outboards.

Do you have a part # or a site that would have this kit?

I will attempt to help you as much as I can. The part number for the " Remote control adapter kit" is Part number 398032. I don' believe that it is available anymore but it would not be overly hard to make the brackets and connect it to cables for shifting and throttle.

The steering part is also simple. there is one listed on ebay now but the price is very ridiculous. The last one I got was given to me on an old chrysler parts motor. He just wanted to be rid of the motor and thought it was to good to just throw away.
You may want to take a look at it for the pictures though.it is listed as "REMOTE STEERING ADAPTER FOR 9.9-15HP EVINRUDE JOHNSON OUTBOARD"

It has been awhile since I purchased a remote control adapter kit but I believe that I paid approx. $15.00 for it brand new in box with instructions.

I can see that I need to purchase a digital camera. A picture is worth a thousand words. Any thougts on which one?

I have all the steering parts. My main issue is the adapters( engine wiring harness) for the electric start and engine controls (fwd/ rvs and throttle brackets ) for my Yamaha.

I called a Yamaha dealer in Charleston this AM and spoke with the parts guy and he told me he thought it could be done and it would take a couple of days for him to research it and let me know. As soon as he notifies me I will post the info with a cost to do the conversion.

Thanks,

Vic

Latest posts