to buy or not to buy?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rapalaham

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been reading on this forum for quite some time, but this is my first posting.....my question is about a 12' jon boat I am looking at buying...... It measures 32" across the bottom, and I am just wondering how steady that would be to fish out of? I've never fished out of a jon boat before and this one is offered at a good price. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance,

Brandon

depends on the wind, the waves, how you load your equipment etc
. stay seated in the center of the boat pretty stable

A 1232 for me is to small. I fish off a front and rear deck and at 280 and 50 I neeed at least a 1648. I have seen 1232 do real well for many applications and people. I did own one at one time and was satified. Most find out though they wish they went bigger, JMO. Best bet is to try one to see if it fits your needs and fishing enviroment. You will know within a hour if its for you.

i fiddled with buying a jon boat idea for over a year. looked at 1032, 1232, 1236, 1432, 1436, 1542. from tracker to alumacraft to g3 to alumaweld. used, new, craigslist, ebay, boat show, neighborhood reservoirs. it got so stressful that i missed out on a whole summer of fishing while deciding what to get.
then i read somewhere that boating is not for the broke. if you can't blow money on it, then fish off a pier.
i now own a 1442 alumacraft. expensive but well worth every penny. i can stand in it, rock it. cast as far as i want to, pull the rod as hard as i want to, have room for 3,4 ppl with tons to spare. i even have a wobbly 2 year old standing in it.
go as wide as budget allows. i figured i paid extra for mine, but selling it shouldn't be hard once i'm ready to upgrade, used boat market is dry of 1442 and 1448.
decide quick and get it cuz that's when the fun and spending starts.

rapalaham said:
how steady that would be to fish out of?

Not very, and you will probably be dissapointed when you get it out on the water. If your going that narrow, I'd recommend a nice canoe instead.

I have a 12 foot flat bottom that is 36 in wide. Providing you use your head when out on th water and stay away from doing jumping jacks or cartwheels in your boat it will be steady enough. Load it properly to maintain balance and you'll do fine.

thank you for all of the input! I think I am going to hold out for a bit larger/wider jon boat due to the fact that my kids are showing more interest (oldest is 4) and I think a little more stability would keep us out of the water :) Thanks for the input! I can't wait to pick one up, seeing everyone's projects gets me excited to start a project of my own!

brandon

Latest posts