To Fill, or not to Fill?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angry Bob

Reaction score
I just had my boat winterized today, and they advised me not to fill my gas tank because of the ethanol added gas. This goes against past recommendations, as well as an e-mail sent to me by my boat manufacturer not too long ago about winterizing tips. What have you folks been hearing?

As long as the fuel will not be in contact with rubber fuel line or gaskets you should be ok.Just don't start the motor.If your fuel tanks are plastic of sorts there is no need.Plastic will not rust or corrode like steel or aluminum.The "fill the tank" idea is to keep condensation out, to prevent rust or corrosion.With a plastic tank just leave it empty, and try draining it at the start of next season.Always install a water separator filter on permanent or built in tanks.

Someone told me that the ethanol won't mix as well with the oil and that you should go with the super premium stuff that does not have the ethanol added to it.
Is this fact or fiction?
This was for all year use also not just storage.

Ethanol draws water like a magnet.

If you are using blended gas, either store your tank full to avoid condensation from changing temps or store it bone dry.

Quackrstackr said:
Ethanol draws water like a magnet.

If you are using blended gas, either store your tank full to avoid condensation from changing temps or store it bone dry.

Quackr,

Although I no longer have a boat with a main motor, would you recommend fogging the cylinders and using StaBil (or a comparable product) if leaving the tank full/partially full?

dedawg1149 said:
ethanol is junk i stay away from it

We don't all have a choice. All gas here in PA is minimum 10% by law now.

Filling the tank to avoid condensation, using fuel stabilizer, and fogging cylinders are all good suggestions. It would be a good idea to add the stabilizer before your last run, so it has time to run through the fuel lines and carb. This is how I store my snowmobiles over the summer, and they always start come fall.

Waterwings said:
Quackr,

Although I no longer have a boat with a main motor, would you recommend fogging the cylinders and using StaBil (or a comparable product) if leaving the tank full/partially full?

I will second what Gamefisher said. I run a fuel stabilizer religiously. Stabil even has a marine formula out now specifically designed to deal with ethanol fuel. If you run it in your fuel on your last trip out, it will be in your engine's fuel system already and should stop any storage problems.

I have never fogged my cylinders (and never had a problem) but I hear of people that do so. My boats get run off and on all winter, though.

I always make sure my tank is empty or atleast near empty and I put a water seperator in the tank.
Also since my motor is a 2 stroke Optimax, I don't fill new oil until I get the boat back.

i have never filled the tank at the end i run stabil or sea foam in the gas for the boat or even the atv's and never had a problem.

i do fog the motors for the boats.

i am a little concearned my new in 07 nissan 8hp 4 stroke that i used as a kicker on lake michigan didnt get used and i did winterize it correctly....guess i will have to buy a bigger boat again.

anyone ever had a problem letting a motor sit to long and then having problems?

hoyt

I have never filled my tank up at the end of the season and never had any trouble come spring.
The ethanol fuel will separate over the winter. I add the new stabil for e10 gas in every tank as it gets near the end of the season so that it runs thru the injectors. come spring i fill the tank with fresh gas to mix it up before i start the motor.

Latest posts