To flyline light baits a long way - best light line rod?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xbacksideslider

Reaction score
I'm in Southern California, generally clear waters and pressured fish. I want to try to flylining small unweighted plastic swimbaits, 3" worms, and the like, but I need to throw these light baits a long way - with stealth, outside of the fish' spook zone.

I'll be using 4-6 pound mono or flouro leader on similar light braid to be thrown off a Johnny Morris JM-20 spinning reel ("Long Cast Mag Spool" - larger diameter).

What long rod should I use? I want to think that 7 foot or more in Med/Light is what I want.

Is that right?

The theory being that the long rod needs the medium base and middle and the light tip helps throw the light bait. Right?

A stealthy presentation does require a long rod with a light tip. Just about the time the fly is about to set, you lift the tip, saying: "That's my fly and you can't have it!"
Then you do one of two things. Either start it moving across the water immediately very slow, but making a 'V" trail.
Or let it set for a count of 10-15 seconds or so. Then make it hop a few inches, and continue the retrieve.
A lot of the time, if they are feeding, they'll have it as soon as it hits the water.

4 Lb is good for the leader. Those 2# Tippets break off too often. I can't see well enough to tie them on either.
A #4 Rod/line is also good. I fished for Small Rainbows for years with that.

After I went to Louisiana I found out it really works well for Bream too.

Latest posts