To jb weld or not to jb weld????

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

latex

Reaction score
I have a 1987 starcraft semi vee that has some pin holes and pitting. Its where my bunks touch the boat? I was thinking of spreading jbweld on the outside of the hull and use alum. dubblers on the inside of the hull. I would use epoxy to bond the inside dubblers down. What do you guys think??? I would be great full any help!!!!!

First off I would look at changing the runners under the boat. What is probably happening is you have treated wood on the runners and the copper in the wood is attacking the aluminum. Replace it with regular untreated wood and use some Thompson's water seal to seal it. Several years back (6-8 years ago my guess) they changed the treated wood and now treat with copper which causes a chemical reaction with the aluminum. Yes, I would try the JB weld since it is such a big area. I think the regular is stronger than the 5 minute so I would go with the regular. I had wondered if the treated runners were attacking the bottoms of the aluminum boats usually it is water that runs off the copper or copper treated wood on to the aluminum that causes problems, but I guess this is being transfered up through the carpet.

Flintcreek.

Can you get some picture up so we can see what it looks like? Might want to consider the JB putty also. You'll want to fix your bunks first so that the problem doesn't continue. Just use some regular wood not treated and water proof it with some sealer.

i would personally try to find another fix besides gobbing some sealer in the holes

something like putting rivits in the pin holes and sealing them with 5200 before you crimp them down

Welding up the pin holes is technically the right way to do it, but no reason JB weld wouldnt work. i would follow that up with a good quality epoxy coat or tow to the entire bottom, i.e steelflex, coat-it or gluvit etc. Done correctly, they seal the entire hull and add some impact protection.