Tom's Jonboat to Bass boat project with photos

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
inlovewithsurfin said:
man your boat looks sharp!!!! great job on the paint!

X2, beautiful rig!! =D>

Don't sweat the paint on the bottom, pretty soon it will be scuffed up on the underside from the bunks and stained brownish green up to the waterline from water.

I really like the blue you chose, shouldn't get too hot.

So here is today's work. Not a lot to show for a days work but measuring, cutting, fitting and re-working every piece of plywood takes time. I am amazed when a panel can be measured, cut and the thing fits the first time.

Photo's show all the panels in place, except the side panels, and the storage with hatches open under the front deck extension and between the seats. The panels under the seats (left and right seat panels) will flip forward for more storage.

Attachments

• 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,888
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 1,888
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,888
  • 34.jpg
    34.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,888
Oh, I don't know about that, but thanks for the compliment. What got me started was seeing what an awesome job other people have done converting their Jon boats to a Bass boat. Now that the structural part of the boat is done I look at other mods and say, "Why didn't I think of that?"

Well here is the next installment. What a lot of work cutting and fitting each panel, not to mention installing the piano hinges. Took forever, then when you think all is aligned with a neat 1/4" spacing between panels to allow for carpeting, WHAM! Install the hinges and nothing is straight and aligned as it had been. What gives?

Question: Anyone have tips on installing piano hinges so they are aligned and provide enough clearance so the plywood hatches do not bind?

Also, once you get the plywood hatches and hinges set up, how do you locate the hinge screw holes you already drilled after the hinges have been removed for carpeting? Thinking of installing a screw from the back side so the tip sticks out a 1/4". That way the screw tip can be felt through the carpeting. On panels where the hinge was installed on the edge of the panel, thinking of using a double pointed screw (there is a name for these but don't know what they are called), leaving a 1/4" sticking out.

How do you locate previously drilled holes under carpeting? Would it have been better to carpet first and then try to install the hinges?

Attachments

• 35.jpg
    35.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,864
  • 36.jpg
    36.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,864
  • 37.jpg
    37.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,864
  • 38.jpg
    38.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1,864
Hey inlovewithsurfin, just took a look at the 3 boats you did. Great job, three times over. Don't know where you find the time to rehab three boats. Think one is enough for me. Has been a great learning experience though, especially with help from guys who have done it before. Besides, it gave me an excuse to justify to my wife why I needed to buy some new tools. That reminds me, think every tool in the workshop was used, at least once, to convert this boat. Got to love the work though.

thank you on the compliment! but i havent done any of my 3 boats as perfect and detailed as the one you are building now! i really love your wood work! as far as the carpet goes... i carpet everything first then use self taping screws or wood screws and screw the hinges down. i dont pre drill holes but again... my wood work isnt up to par with yours! :)

as far as finding time to work on the boat/boats... as soon as i get home i go to work on the boat... or a saturday/sunday that i am not fishing i am working on the boat... i am at a point now where all the major things are done and its all small things left! and the key to not getting into trouble with my girl... ask her to help work on the boat with me!

keep up the fantastic work!

OK, here is the latest work done. Cut and fitted the side panels, mounted the front and rear pedestal seat bases and installed the passenger seat bases. Next step is to remove all panels, spar varnish the cut edges, carpet and re-install.

Attachments

• 39.jpg
    39.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 1,830
  • 40.jpg
    40.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,830
  • 41.jpg
    41.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 1,830
  • 42.jpg
    42.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,830
I like the seating idea. I may have to steal that for my current build that I have on here. I should be starting the inside this weekend and I think we have the same carpet.

man it looks awesome!! love the color. great wok on the decks the turned out looking great! i am honestly a little jealous of that giant front hatch.