Tonight's Catch

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishinsMyLife

Reaction score
I caught these in a golf course pond on Jim's worms. These were my first fish with them, not because they're no good but because its the first time I used them :) . Biggest around a pound and a half.
PHOT0007.jpg

PHOT0006.jpg

PHOT0005.jpg

PHOT0004.jpg

PHOT0003.jpg

PHOT0002.jpg

The reel is an Abu Garcia D5 and the rod is a $20 wal-mart one that I got to try out the do-it-yourself split grip project from a different forum. I'm glad it looks somewhat decent

I caught one of these on a lizard, the rest on Jim's worms. I lost one picture, it was just another around a pound on Jim's worms. I wacky rigged the worms and got some hits and caught four on it, but I also missed three. I was using a Gamakatsu octopus hook. (https://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&partNumber=8066&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults) Is that the right kind to use for wacky rigging? I also caught one without setting the hook (just reeling) because I thought it was a stick. Should I just lift my rod and reel in or set the hook? Here are the bass, none over a pound by much, if at all
JimsWormBass4.jpg

JimsWormBass3.jpg

JimsWormBass2.jpg

JimsWormBass1.jpg

[/quote]

Dude your link is not a link and cutting and pasting did not get me there - so I have no idea what hook you are talking about.

For wacky rigging I use 3/0 Matzuo America Sickle Octopus hooks. The Red chrome work great as do the black bait holder variety.

6581266.jpg

Should I just lift my rod and reel in or set the hook? I missed a few when I set the hook yesterday and I hooked one just reeling in when I didn't know the weight was a fish. It could just be that I haven't mastered the technique yet.

When wacky rigging, once I see the line move I will reel like crazy to take out all the slack and then give a sharp tug to set the hook.

I use braid so there is no need to swing at the fish becuase there is little stretch in the line. If you are using mono or floro you might have to hit the fish a little harder becuase the stretch greatly reduces the hook set at the other end. The bass will hag onto the soft plastic baits for a while so give them a second to get the whole thing in their mouth. They will also come back if you miss a hook set - so let it rest.

You might be experaiancing sunfish grabbing the tails of the bait - feels like you have a bigger fish but then it just pops free. Usually bass to not hit with a bunch of sharp tugs. Like a "tug, tap, tap, tug" is a sunny.

Caught these the other night. The smaller bass went around a pound and was caught on a black Terminator Hybrid buzzbait worked subsurface. The bigger fish should have been two pounds but was skinny and was caught on the same bait buzzed on top.
HybridSpinnerbaitBass2.jpg

HybridSpinnerbaitBass1.jpg

Finally one bent my rod. Biggest around 2.5 pounds but fought like it was bigger. Caught two other little ones and lost 3 more when my hookset pulled em out the water on the bank where they got unhooked before I could get the slack out and grab em. All caught on a weightless Hardnose Mosquito Hawk.
HardnoseHawkBass3.jpg

HardnoseHawkBass2.jpg

HardnoseHawkBass1.jpg

Got this one tonight on Jim's Buzzbait. It went close to two and a half. He was the only one that got hooked out of 4 hits. The bite was slower than usual tonight. I don't think the bass know whats going on since its rained for a couple days straight when we haven't had rain in a month or two.
JimsBuzzbaitBass.jpg

FishinsMyLife317 said:
Got this one tonight on Jim's Buzzbait. It went close to two and a half. He was the only one that got hooked out of 4 hits. The bite was slower than usual tonight. I don't think the bass know whats going on since its rained for a couple days straight when we haven't had rain in a month or two.
JimsBuzzbaitBass.jpg

Sweet man! Good to hear! I got some new Buzzbaits coming! :wink:
These ones I hope are going to be killer.

Finally warmed up enough that I figured I might catch some at night. All I caught was a 10 ounce crappie (I was going to make a corny joke about having a crappie night...) It hit a Booya spinnerbait.
Crappie.jpg