Towing A Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Putting the tailgate down is a must for me. Its so much easier to see the trailer when backing down the ramp. And make sure you unhook the boat from the winch.....don't do like I did last time I was out and pushed and pushed on my boat to get it into the water....I was like WTF....then my dumb *** realized I never unhooked the winch. After lots of practice, you won't have a problem. Good Luck!

I bought LED's for my trailer and am thinking about getting that string of 25 LEDs from Blue Water and mounting them under the last cross frame member and up to the wheel wells on each side. I plan on connecting them to the back up lights so when I reverse down the ramp I'll be lighting it as I go. Either that or put a switch on the trailer near the tongue so I can turn them on and leave them on for light while parked.

I practiced backing my trailer up between parked cars at the local exotic car dealer during working hours. Nothing like backing between a Lamborghini and a Maserati with a crowd watching to keep you focused. :lol:

As far as launching I make sure everything is ready to go before I get to the ramp. I normally go alone and people are usually more willing to help a lone boater IF he/she is prepared. No putting the plug in or taking back straps off at the ramp. I attach two dock lines to my cleats on the side closest to the pier and then I back the boat down the ramp until the back of it starts to float. I get out of the truck and toss the dock lines on the pier, disconnect the bow strap and get on the pier. I manually pull the boat off the trailer and down the pier 2-3 boat lengths and tie it off. The pier I launch at is plenty long for that and allows other boaters to launch at the same pier while I go park the truck. Once I park the truck I removed the wiring harness adaptor (that 7 pin to 4 pin thingy or is 4 pin to 7 pin?) and the pin for my folding tongue and put them on the driver's seat. Seen too many of them stolen to want mine to come up missing.

...and the pin for my folding tongue and put them on the driver's seat. Seen too many of them stolen to want mine to come up missing.

I did the same thing on my Tracker, and do it for this trailer also, and store it in the rear floorboard out of sight. I also put the rear tie-down straps there too.

I used to put the trailer pin and connector in the back but one day they got covered up with a jacket I tossed back there and needless to say, backing it up while the tongue is bending will remind you real fast. Now they go on the seat so I remember as I get in the truck.

...needless to say, backing it up while the tongue is bending will remind you real fast.

Good point. The Lowe trailer has a different style "pin" than the Trailstar trailers. This one is actually about a 3/8" (guessing) diameter bolt with a plastic screw cap (about 2.5" dia). Once you put it into the hole in the tongue, you screw another plastic "cap" (same dia. as top one) onto the bottom, then put the clip through the hole in the bolt to ensure the bottom cap doesn't un-screw while in transit. I liked the Trailstar device better.

When I was a teen, my dad tricked me into trying to back the boat in the water by asking my to hold the brakes while he checked the plug. Everything was lined up and all I needed to do was back it straight back anouther 30yrds. Oh yea, it was 4th July weekend at the buisiest ramp in town. Well after listening to everyone yelling and cussing for 10 minutes, I shut off the truck and wandered down the river bank.

I practiced every chance I got. Started to back up and down the driveway when we would come home, later back it in off the street and into the garage. Its second nature now. At times, I still get crossed up or to close to the curb and have to stop and pull forward. That usually happens when Im in a hurry.

When I launch, I have a 30' dock line attatched to the bow and clipped to the trailer. I back in till the boat floats, pull forward slowly till I can walk between the trailer and water line. Unclip the boat and push to the shore.
When loading, I slide on my knee high rubber boats and wade at the back bumper and drag the boat on the trailer. It works real good when Im by myself. If someone else is along, I just let them hold the dockline.

Our local ramps are so shallow I've actually thought about getting some waders. I'm tired of usually/sometimes going home wet up to my knees (or a$$ on occasion) from manually loading the boat.

I've done it "by myself" somewhere around 1200 times, in the last 10 years.... so I guess you could say, I have had just a little bit of practice :) I actually enjoy showing off, by launching my boat, or pulling it out, in seconds, rather than minutes.

But here's the funny thing.... I'm am SOOOO used to backing up with the boat behind me (steering left when looking forward, to make the boat go left, when looking back) that on the rare occasion when I don't have my boat trailer behind my truck, and I try to back up, I turn the wheel the wrong way EVERY dang time ! I can hardly turn it the right way, even if I think about it first ! Doh ! :)
Sometimes I even come home, hop in my car, and still can't get it right !

Oh well,
Fish

Thanks for all the advice guys! I just got my boat yesterday,(2000 14' Mirrocraft, '02 Yamaha 4 stroke 15 hp.) Now I just need to get a hitch on my truck and I'm good to go out and practice.

Bass n Bows said:
Thanks for all the advice guys! I just got my boat yesterday,(2000 14' Mirrocraft, '02 Yamaha 4 stroke 15 hp.) Now I just need to get a hitch on my truck and I'm good to go out and practice.
:beer: :beer: :beer:

:postpics:

Good luck with her man!

Bass n Bows said:
Your boat will be a quick little thing with that 15hp lol

Jim said:
Bass n Bows said:

Good luck with her man!

Someone help get Jim's fingers away from those icons!

esquired said:
Jim said:
Bass n Bows said:

Good luck with her man!

Someone help get Jim's fingers away from those icons!

I can't help it, They are new buttons and I want to use them.

:LOL2: