Toyota 4 prong problems

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefly

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I have a RAV4 that I pull my LOWE 16 with and it has the standard flat 4 prong trailer connector. Trouble is that my turn and brake lights work fine while hooked to the Toyota but running lights don't. When I hook up to my Dodge truck the lights on my trailer work fine, turn, stop, running all work like they should.

Is there an adapter/converter that is required for a Toyota? I havent ever heard of one but that doesn't mean much!

Any ideas?

Are your turn and stop lights the same light? If so no converter is needed, however it wouldn't hurt. You might check, several vehicles have a separate fuse for towing tail, stop and turn.

Huntinfool,

I did a quick visual check of the fuses on the Toyota but I didnt use an ohm meter to check continuity. Will check it out thanks!

Also, how is your wire attached? If it is just scotch locked that may be the problem. Sometimes the plugs just go bad. I would check your ground also. Look for corrosion in the plug.

It has to have a converter. And make sure you unplug the harness EVERY time you put the trailer in the water. If not you will be replacing the converter. Also make sure there is a good ground on both sides of the harness.

tommeboy,

I thought maybe I need a converter. Will Wall-Mart sell them? I will ensure a good ground, both sides, next hook up!

huntinfool,

My RAV4 is a 2005.

Thanks for the help guys!

I have a rav4 2010, it required a converter and the converter requires a connection to the battery to work.
Have never had a problem since I hooked it up. Inline fuse going to the battery BTW.
Tim

I am guessing this is the factory harness? If so Toyota has fuses on the harness at the converter, ny Tacoma harness was under the rear seat. Just look for that, you will see fuses stickingout. I went so far as to put in a plug and play harness. Then I discovered the box.

The lovedr is probably right on the factory harness thing, my setup is all aftermarket. Hitch, harness, converter, everything. I think the harness and converter were packaged together at around $25 . It is a plug and play setup but was not real easy to run all the wires. just google it if needed.
Tim

Mine is built in. I had always wondered what it was. Couldn't find anything online about it.had to follow wiresinto the cab and low and behold the harness with fuses. Fixed the blown fuses and factory plug worked again.

Found the blown fuse in the harness way up behind the passenger rear tire. Dont know how I would have thought to look if you guys didnt suggested it.

Thanks again! =D>

Latest posts