Tracker Panfish to Tracker Pro 17

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jparrishbt

Reaction score
Ok so here is the deal. Still relatively new to the site and have been a long time lurker. I have once owned a bass tracker tournament tx but sold due to buying a fiberglass ranger. I live down in Yuma az and now have realized I need a backwater boat. Got on CL and found me a boat. I went and looked at it and found it to be a 1989? Tracker panfish with the stick steering and stick throttle. Immediately I found it ot be the same hull as the pro 17 and the tournament TX, but it is a different layout. Comes with three trolling motors, boat trailer, boat, and 20hp Johnson. Guy wants 900 for it. The boat is also painted green.

I am going to need some guidance here so I have some questions.

1. I am going to completely strip and rebuild with new foam and build it identical to the pro 17. How hard is it going to be to remove this kind of steering and make it into a console? I found a console already for 50.

2. The boat being green is a major problem for me. I have a duck boat, I don't want another. I want to strip it down to bare aluminum then make it look like the pro 17 on the sides. I found the stickers for $70. How hard is it to get it to bare aluminum?

3. When building decks could I use 1x2 or 2x2 or should I use all metal. The motor will be swapped out for a 40-70hp

4. With all new wiring, decks, motor, console, motor hookups, etc. How much in rough estimate is this going to cost me?

1-not hard. I actually have the steering wheel adapter and cable i just took off my tournament tx console if you want to purchase it. i am making mine a tiller or mud motor boat

2-It's not hard it'll just take a lot of time, sanding, polishing etc

3-all metal is best for lightweight but for decks and floorboards you can also use marine grade plywood

4-these boats are not hard to rebuild, they just take lots of time to do them right. i had roughly 1750-2grand into my last one (plus the 1500 i paid for it) but it came out looking like a brand new tracker with new everything. the money is a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of time you'll have in it

Thanks for the reply. I have not bought the boat yet and have about a week with it on hold. Does $900 seem high for the price of what I decribed. I forgot to get pictures of it so I can show you guys. And how much do you want for your console and can you send me a picture

that sounds like a really fair price. Like i said, i paid 1500 for my first one in rough shape, i paid 700 for my most recent one in really bad shape with no trailer and a junk trolling motor

Ok so it is looking like I am going to get the boat. Titles are good. Comes with extra tires and two spare trollers. I figure I can go wrong with an aluminum bass tracker. I have a buddy that wants to buy my Jon boat and after that I will have enough for the new tracker and enough to upgrade the 20hp to a 50hp. Hopefully will have pics up tomorrow. My most concerning part it the paint though. Is there another method besides sanding? Can I use a sandblasted or even some sort of stripper. I don't know what kind of paint he used.