Trailer issues

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captdan

Reaction score
SO today was the first chance Ive had to get the "new to me Boat" out on the water since I bought her.... When I bought her, she had no trailer but I was able to pick one up in Miami for 200.... only problem I found out a bit later was that the boat hangs off the boat by 29"... more on that in a minute. So after getting back from Miami and with work, I managed to get her on the trailer with a little help from the break away/tilt, a pvc pipe and the winch on the trailer. Upon trying to start the motor, my pull rope broke.... ](*,) Figuring that I needed to gt the lower unit oil and impellar swapped out, I dropped her off at my local boat shop in hopes shed be ready the same day... ended up with her the next day which was quick enough... Took her for a spin yesterday on the river and she ran great..... After cruising around for a while, I decided to head home and start up on wiring her up the way I want.... Getting her on the trailer was a pain in the :!: Because I had slid the winch bracket so far up/high on the tongue, and the SHALLOW nature of the ramp, I had to back the trailer up quite a bit further than I wanted to.... glad it was freshwater and not salt!

Anywhos, with almost 3 ft of the boat sticking off, I am now looking for a solution to my problem. I need to extend the tongue, but with zero welding skills and a very thin wallet, my options are somewhat limited. The tongue looks to be held in place by a single bolt that the trailer swivels on when using the tilt feature.... If I were to slide the tongue forward and re-drill the hole about a foot further, would I have any negative effects on the trailer? Also plan to extend the bunks by 6-8" to help accommodate...... Any input would be appreciated.

CaptDan

Check with the local high school or jr college that has a welding class.

I ran into the same problem with my trailer. I needed to lengthen the tongue 3 feet so the boat wouldn't hit the back of my truck when I made a turn.

I got a piece of tubing the same size as the old tongue,cut off the old hitch and plated the two pieces together with 4 bolts. I can weld, but wanted to make the tongue removeable for storage.

I remounted the hitch and had to lengthen the wires out for the lights. I hope this helps. Todd

Thanks for the good info guys.... I am going to try and get er done today... will update on the progress....

Trailer issues all but resolved.... If I can find the cord to my camera, I will post a pic or two.... :?

I needed to lengthen the tongue 3 feet so the boat wouldn't hit the back of my truck when I made a turn. Can you solve this? Otherwise i have new idea to trail it by mini truck or tractor.

I had the same problem. First I bought a 3 foot piece of tube the same size and used (2 )1/8 inch steel plates and 4 bolts and bolted it together. I thought I could I remove the tongue for storage. I looked at it for awhile and didn't like it.

Next I bought a piece of steel tube the same size as the original but 4 feet longer and installed it. It was easy as my trailer was a tilt and was only held on by 2 bolts. I lengthened the wires abd bolted on the hitch and safety chains. Looks like a factory job.

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can be of assistance. Todd