Trailer or Roof Rack?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dragger said:
Wow, almost completely unanimous! Didn't expect that. I know having it on a roof would be a pain, especially since I fish solo, but it would save me a lot of time and money to just be able to throw it on top. So far every trailer I have seen for sale has been 500 plus and in pretty bad shape.

The hunt continues!

When I got my trailer off of Craigs List I was looking at boat trailers and was having trouble finding a cheap one. Then in one picture of a jon boat a guy was selling I saw an old trailer leaned up by his barn. I called him and asked if it was for sale, he laughed ..... then I picked it up later that day ! LUCKY, lol. He wanted $50 for it and because I cant count I went all the way to his house with $49.... he was a nice guy so I paid $49 for it. I dont know if that helps you, I just thought Id share my little story. =D>

Trailer; I got a 10 foot tracker on a jet-ski trailer, re-adjusted bunks and it works perfect. :wink:

Where I live, the neighborhood association doesn’t allow boat storage unless it fits in the garage and I not looking to move anytime soon.

I want a small light weight (200 lb ish) 12-14 foot V or flat bottom jon boat.

Part of the fun will be devising a way to use an electric winch to hoist my boat onto a yet to be build topper rack. Something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL_GPV96PXc

Another interesting challenged will be storing this near the ceiling in the garage.

Any guys around here store their boats near the rafters or transport on top of camper shells?

Auzivision said:
Where I live, the neighborhood association doesn’t allow boat storage unless it fits in the garage and I not looking to move anytime soon.

I want a small light weight (200 lb ish) 12-14 foot V or flat bottom jon boat.

Part of the fun will be devising a way to use an electric winch to hoist my boat onto a yet to be build topper rack. Something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL_GPV96PXc

Another interesting challenged will be storing this near the ceiling in the garage.

Any guys around here store their boats near the rafters or transport on top of camper shells?

My buddy uses J shaped ladder hangers to hang his 12' Tracker Topper sideways on the wall of his shed. Easy to get up and down and it's out of the way.

I'd go trailer too....I looked at roof racks for my Kayaks. If you don't have a roof rack already then the cost is probably cheaper finding a used trailer....look out a ways from your location. I know of several around here have been on CL the last couple wees for under 200. And a couple places say they always have a few. They must deal in boats pretty regular. The Harbor frieght one may be a good deal if you can't wait for one. You could relocat the lights to guide ons and then not have to worry about submersible lights.

Just a thought.

Jason

i've got mine on a trailer, but i cant get into some of my out of the way spots now because i cant get a trailer into them.when they say"car topper" lakes in the fishing guides up here they are not kidding. i'm seriously considering a small john to go on my racks that i had custom made which i can't use anymore :(. i had to buy hankook dynapro mud tires so i can get my trailer into the lakes,cuz theres virtually no launch ramps,just mud.

I see you think you would save time being able to just 'throw' it on the roof...I really don't think it would save you any time and after doing it a couple times I think oh would quickly grow to resent it. I don't think it gets much quicker and easier than rolling into the water, letting the boat float off and pulling out of the water....unstrapping it should take seconds at the lake and if you leave it strapped at home you don't even have to do anything but attach it to the hitch and drive away next time you are ready to head out.

Latest posts