Trailer Project (Project Complete, Pics Added)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been working on it here and there when I have time. I have been so busy with the new place. The grass alone is killing me. I have to mow about 2 acres and I have to do it twice a week to keep up with it. Got most of the other small projects around here done so I'm just about ready to concentrate on the boat and trailer again. Just found out a couple weeks ago that we are gonna have a baby after 10+ years of trying also so I have to get my project complete before the baby comes cause I know the wife isnt gonna let me spend any money after that.

Trailer progress: I got the new winch and jack mounted up. I got new safety chains in place. The bunks are built, carpeted and mounted. Had to order my stainless staples online so that held up my bunks for a few days. I still need to buy new hubs, wheels, tires and build some guide ons. I was originally gonna go with bunk guide ons but the boat sits so good on the bunks I built that now I think I'm just gonna build the post style guide ons for loading on windy days. I also am considering moving the side marker lights. I mounted all the lights in the original mounting locations before building the bunks. The trailer was originally for a v-hull. I added a cross bunk to support the front of the boat and it hides my side markers. I am considering removing the bracket they are currently mounted to and cutting it in half and mounting each to the underside of the cross bunk. I'll go out to the garage shortly and snap a couple pics of my progress and of the lights so you all can see what I mean.

Trailer6.jpg

Trailer7.jpg

The next couple pics show what I meant about the side marker lights being blocked by the bunk. I'm thinking of removing that bracket they are mounted to and cuting it in half and drilling a couple holes in each half and running some small lag screws into the underside of that bunk. I would have to lengthen the wires to each light but thats not a big deal. Any one have any other ideas where I wouldnt be drilling into the bunk?
Trailer8.jpg

Trailer9.jpg

looks great! now just do the same with the wheels! Those rusty wheels look awful on that nice "new" trailer!

Beautiful job on the trailer BB - and congrats on the baby!! =D> He/she will make a great little fishing buddy for you in a couple of years!

Dixie, I'm replacing the wheels and tires with brand new ones. Just havnt picked em up yet.

Thanks for the congrats BaitCaster, were looking forward to the new addition!!

I decided to mess around with the trailer a little more. I got those side markers moved. They are in a much better location now. Just cut that bracket in half and drilled a few holes. I ran three 1/4" lag screws into each one and they are solid. Had to lengthen the wires about a foot to get them out there.

I also built some guide ons. I had some bunk support brackets that I didnt need so I used them and some steel gas line. The gas line was a perfect diameter and was much cheaper than regular steel tubing. I bent the line where it needed and and locked them into the bunk brackets with set screws. I then slipped my pvc over the line and locked it in with a small bolt on the bottom and capped the pvc. My guide ons cost me less than 20 bucks to build and took about an hour. The pvc pipe is more of an off white color so it dosnt quite match the trailer but I'll live with it.

Hubs, wheels and tires and this thing will be done!!

New side marker location.
Trailer10.jpg

Guide ons. Sorry about the glare, guess I should have closed the blinds.
Trailer11.jpg

I have a trailer that is very similar to yours thatI am working on. What size are your bunks and how did you attach them to the trailer?

The 2 long bunks are 6 feet, the short cross bunk is 28 inches I think and the one at the nose is 12 inches. To attach them, I countersunk carraige bolts then carpeted them. Then dropped them through pre drilled holes in the frame with a washer and lock nut.

I stacked 2x4's. I had planned to just use singles but it didnt give me enough height to work the tilt latch. Then I was gonna use 4x4's but couldn't find a lumber yard anywhere that sold untreated 4x4's. Remember if you do yours like mine, that front cross bunk needs to sit lower than the rears because the strakes on the boat actually sit on it where they dont on the back. Mine needed to be something like 7/8" lower. I just laid it on there where I was mounting it and drew some lines and set my table saw blade to that height and ran it across there a million times till it was all cut out.

I just realized the other day that I never posted pics of the completed project. This thing has been done for some time now. So, I pulled it out of the garage today, unloaded the boat and washed the trailer just so I could get pics to finish this thread!!

Heres the trailer completely finished!!

002-1.jpg

004.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

great job on the trailer!!!!
i know the boats gonna look good if you can take that trailer from what it was to the way it looks now....
awsome job....
im ready to see the boat in progress now...

and congrats on the lil one!!!!!

SUM-KINA

Great job on the boat. I live in Dublin and was following you OGF. I have a small starcraft I bought this spring that I've been trying to get it in the water. My trailer needs a lot of work. I took it down to griggs on Thursday and didn't make it from the dock. The engine was running so poorly, I didn't want to chance it. I think the problem was with the fuel/tank or hose.

I like your idea for the guide ons? I need something to help me guide the boat on the trailer. Also, the trailer is so small, I could not see it in my mirrors until it was jackknifed!!

Great job.

ski

Welcome to Tinboats Ski, this is a great site. You'll definately get plenty of help with your project here. These guys are all picture junkies so post lots of pics when you get going on your projects.

My little trailer was too small to see behind the truck as well. I made the guide ons tall enough that I'll be able to see the trailer now.

Nice job on the trailer. It appears to be the same trailer I have. I too rebuilt mine before I started on teh boat. Link to my build in my sig. I went about the bunks differently, and eliminated the tilt feature. I could use it agian, if I replace the bolt with a clevis pin. My trailer also had some welded on side guides. I just whacked them off and installed some new ones. Ill be posting a thread in a few minutes.

Congrats on the youngin, kids are the best mod. 8)