Trailering with motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truckmechanic

Reaction score
I have a Fishmaster 1436 with Evinrude 9.9, I have my motor bolted and clamped onto the transom. My question is am I damaging my boat by towing it with motor on it all the time?

th_JonBoat1.jpg

i never take the motor off my boat, i just leave it down and bungy cord the foot to the trailer to keep it from bouncing around.

as long as your transom isnt flexing i think you should be fine

I have a 1968 14' Polarkraft that has been wearing an 18 hp Evinrude ever since it left the factory. It has been hauled through all manner of rough terrain and mistreatment for years. Not a single problem.

So long as the wood in your transom is good (and your boat is not cheaply made), you will never have a problem.

I go fishing in northern Quebec,where the roads are gravelled.These roads are EXTREMELY unkept, huge potholes, large rocks on them ect.The main problem we are encountering out there, is #-o flying rocks from our tires,and the bottoming out of the trailer in the large pot holes.Many lower units have been shattered or cracked in these conditions and a few transoms have suffered extensive damage.Depending on the quality of the roads you are travelling on, it would be well advised to either remove the motor,or add extra protection to it...ei a bucket strapped on the lower unit sometimes helps from flying debis but is not much help when bottoming out in a large pothole where the tires are in it while the tail end is not....Just my two cents.Have a great fishing season I'm leaving :D for there monday, cant hardly wait...Mike

Can't tell from that little picture but I think you may even have a transom saver?
As far as the motor,,,the boats made for it....theres probably more stess on the stern of a boat when the outboard is cracked wide open,then on the trailer,especially big outboards.Thats what I'm thinking anyways.

A transom saver is cheap insurance if your in doubt.

I have trailered thousands of miles with a jon boat and never had a problem UNTIL I switched to a heavy 4-stroke. It ripped the sides out of my rivet hull. I welded and added more bracing and it finally ripped the transom to a point of no use. I bought a new Alweld and it broke the welds on the transom support. Alweld paid for it and extended my warranty another year. I know use a transom saver and have not had any trouble.

Attachments

• laws%20boat%20tb2.jpg
    laws%20boat%20tb2.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 477
Transom savers are great.My boat is loaded into the bed of my truck by me,so my motor is removed.I also keep it locked up in my outbuilding,so it don't get stolen.

transom saver is the way to go prevents any bouncing of the out board. I made one out of a treated 2x4 and cut a v in one end and made it hook on and of the trailer when loading and un loading boat its a cheap easy way to make a transom saver. -Justin

I have a transom saver type thing that I made to help hold it. I only travel paved roads unless it is the road going into a lake may be graveled but never more than a mile. Thanks for everyones help! I appreciate the quick responses.

Latest posts