Transom Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

who pooted?

Reaction score
Guys,
I've seen several people saying that if you have a 15" transom that you need a short shaft motor. Well I have a 15" with a long shaft 18hp and I'm not having any problems. Why would the shaft length matter? You can see the motor on my thread. I'll have better pics of it once i get the boat done, and then the engine painted.

Thanks,
Adam

It's just a performance issue.

You don't want any more of the lower unit hanging down or your prop any deeper than you have to have it.

It will still work but the speed, handling and shallow water ability will be adversely effected as it makes the stern plow deeper in the water.

Is it worth getting a different motor? I can get about 24mph loaded down by myself and 21 w passenger.

who pooted? said:
Is it worth getting a different motor? I can get about 24mph loaded down by myself and 21 w passenger.

I think it would depend on your finances. Instead of getting a different motor, you could install a jack plate for less money. That said, I ran a long shaft on a short transom a week ago, and it ran fine. I did notice that the boat took a little longer to "right" itself after it swayed, assumably because of the long shaft which would be more noticable in my v-hull than your boat. I think the only real concern for me would be hitting objects in shallow water.

They make jack plates for flatbottoms? How much you think they run? Is this something to get welded on or bolt application.

They do sell jack plates,theres a few on here.
Another option is just to build up your transom and theres a few mods like that on here as well.shaft_measure.gif
The cavitation plate is normally even with the bottom of your boat.

You could have a jack pate made for $50 to $75.
$82.64 https://www.jmsonline.net/MINI-JACKER.htm Made for smaller lighted boats up to 35HP.

Yeah, yeah. :lol:

I forgot about that mini jacker. It's been a long time since I looked at them for motors that small. Most of the units besides that one would cost him as much as he paid for the boat.

Latest posts