transom tm conversion to bow

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xiong-tech

Reaction score
i got a tm for my dads boat but the steering cables were rubbing on the T handles (see the first pic.) my uncle told me that a transom tm can be converted to bow tm by turning the head 180 degrees, so i tried it. it was just a matter of taking out a bolt/screw, turning the head, and bolting it back together. here it is:

mounted on transom
tmpix005.jpg

bow mounted w/ head turned 180
tmpix006.jpg

i figured since my dads boat came w/ a bow mount for a tm, i'll fab up a bracket of some sort to hold the tm. i found out that a 1" cpvc pipe was the same diameter as my tm shaft so i bought what looks to be a union or something for $5 (third pic below.) i had some 2" metal pipes laying around at home so i cut one to size and sandwiched it between the caps. i then went back to lowes, bought a stick of metal w/ predrilled wholes (don't know if it has a specific name), cut it to size and welded it together. this took me a couple of hours to do, but weeks to figure out which plan was the best. turned out ok. the whole thing cost me about $30 and thats because i burnt the first union when welding. it got a little hot. sorry, i didn't take any pix while i was putting it together. i only have the finished product.

bow mount that came w/ the boat
tmpix002.jpg

tmpix004.jpg

crazy fabbing
tmpix011.jpg

tmpix008.jpg

tmpix009.jpg

mounted on the bow mount. the finished product.
tmpix007.jpg

tmpix010.jpg

this winter, this boats getting an overhual.

rick50 said:
Looks like that will work....Have you tried it out yet?

no. just got it done today. boat hasn't been registered for about 10 yrs. but will change this year.