Transom Wood Replacement-UPDATE!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My boat was built in 1967 and I replaced the original transom 3 years ago. The original white oak board was 40+ years old. IT had one small soft spot under one of the plates, both of the screws in the corners had broekn off making repair next to impossible, and looked like crap. Structurally it was still rock hard.

The plywood piece on the outside of the transom was completely shot. I replaced the plywood with more plywood. I've pulled the motor a few times, there is a visible difference in the amount of wear to the plywood and white oak. The white oak has the stain/polyurathane removed, the plywood has grooves plus the stain/polyurathane removed. No matter how well you treat the wood, that treatment will wear off under the vibrations of the motor, thus exposing raw wood to the elements. White oak naturally will outlast plywood.

BassBlaster said:
Just wondering, has everyones general rule of transom replacement been changed over the last year?

Bass Blaster, I'm in 100% agreement with you. This must be the first post I've read that said to go w/ solid wood over plywood. I'm still pretty sure that the plywood would be stronger, as glued pieces are stronger than one solid piece. My new transom is two 3/4" ply, and unless I leave it submerged or outside, it will be going strong in five years and probably still in 25 years.

Hanr3 said:
I've pulled the motor a few times, there is a visible difference in the amount of wear to the plywood and white oak.

Hanr3, apples and oranges here, one piece is on the outside!

Ictalurus said:
BassBlaster said:
Just wondering, has everyones general rule of transom replacement been changed over the last year?

Bass Blaster, I'm in 100% agreement with you. This must be the first post I've read that said to go w/ solid wood over plywood. I'm still pretty sure that the plywood would be stronger, as glued pieces are stronger than one solid piece. My new transom is two 3/4" ply, and unless I leave it submerged or outside, it will be going strong in five years and probably still in 25 years.

Hanr3 said:
I've pulled the motor a few times, there is a visible difference in the amount of wear to the plywood and white oak.

Hanr3, apples and oranges here, one piece is on the outside!

Why is that apples and oranges?

Point is, white oak has been used in the structural elements of ship building since the first ships were built. Its not a new concept, the use of plywood in ship building is a new concept. The white oak can be submerged and left outside for decades and not rot. Plus white oak has tannins that repeal insects. Typically plywood is made from inferior grades of wood, ply's can be full of voids, and the glue could delaminate when wet. In order to get a white oak comparible grade of plywood, you need void free, water resistant species wood, and water resistant glue. Read big bucks and your typical home improvement store doesnt carry it. Finally, when you compare costs, you will find White Oak will be more cost effective. Now if you rarely use the boat, store it inside and under cover, plywood may be your best option.

https://www.gazela.org/ships/gazela/hullplanks.html

Pretty sure Christopher Columbus crossed the ocean on wooden ships, and there wasn't an ounce of plywood in any of them.
https://www.pjstar.com/news/x909199815/Replicas-of-Nina-and-Pinta-arrive

What can I say, the replicas stopped in my town this weekend.