Tree fell on my piece of tin!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mogfisher

Reaction score
Hey folks. I have a G3 1442 that got molested by a large branch. As many know, we in the northeast got HAMMERED by some fierce wind. We lost power for 2 days but many are still out. Anyway, my G3 was flipped on it's trailer for winter and an 8" branch came down stump first directly onto one of the chines (I think that's what they're called) and dented the bottom in about 3". Did not crack but it's a darn good dent about 18" long. Now, my thoughts are that the boat is technically totalled. The dent is about a foot back from where it stops curving down from the front directly on the bottom. I figured that it may want to crack, or at least be weakened by any attempt to straighten it and it certainly wont plane right as it sits. Even if someone were to straighten it could they get it perfect anyway? And would it be strong enough that I'd feel OK flying accross the lake with my 18 mercury? Any advice is appreciated. The boat is insured so I'd just like to know what to tell the adjuster when they come out to see it. Thanks!

You might post some pics and let our resident tin benders take a peek.

Dang, sorry about your rig getting dinged by the tree. If it's insured I'd let the adjuster take a look at it. Is the tree limb that did the damage still near the boat? I'd leave it so that he can see what caused the dent.

I agree that if you have insurance, the next step is letting the adjuster look at it. Aluminum repair isn't cheap, so I'm curious as to what the outcome will be.

Repair, or replace? Keep us updated, and hopefully you guys get a break from the winter weather!

I'll snap some pics if I can today so y'all can see it. I'll be calling the ins. company tomorrow to see what they think. Ideal situation for me would be for them to give me a grand for it and let me keep it. I'll bang it back out and use it as a pond beater with just the electric motor and use the money to put towards a better boat. Or they give me a hundred bucks and say it's just a dent! I'll keep you posted either way. :D

Here are some shots of the damage. I'll admit that it seemed worse at midnight in a windstorm, but it's still significant damage I think. I put the aluminum angle on there as a straight edge to show the deflection.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I'd say that's a fairly significant dent, but I'm not an insurance adjuster either. It ain't the way it's supposed to be, so they should fix it, or give you some money (imho). My agent came out and took some photos of both of my rigs when I bought them. Hoping I never have to file a claim though. Hope they see it to your benefit. :)

Those are called strakes, the chine is where the hull bottom meets the hull sides. That doesn't look like it is very bad at all, my old tinny has a dent that big in it from stumps and still runs fine. It probably isn't going to effect the planing characteristics as it isn't on the planing surface. Find a good dead blow hammer and pound it out, add an Alu. angle on the inside for a stiffener if you think you need to. This is an easy fix. Even if you need to buy the dead blow hammers you can fix this for less than your deductible.

I feel your pain. My Alumacraft suffered as tree strike on the nose. Big dent, took out the trolling motor pushed the nose down about 6 ". Broke the front weld down the seam about 6-8 inches. A little bit of leverage $100 dollars worth of welding and the cutout lid from an old aluminum tool box and got her back up.

Attachments

• IMG00291.jpg
    IMG00291.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 443
Well, it looks like I got my wish. I'm getting a check for a little over a grand and I get to keep my piece of tin. I guess it's hammer time now! I'm going to beat it out as best I can and use it till it sinks. I'm glad, because I started the decking last year and I have 2 sheets of marine ply and all my bracing already cut and ready to drop in. Would have been quite a waste if I gave up the boat. Probably going to drag the boat to the garage tomorrow and go at it with a hammer. Any suggestions/advice? I'll post some pics of what it looks like after i'm done. And then some with the decking.