trolling motor help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corey

Reaction score
I need help choosing a foot controlled trolling motor for a 1436. I plan to go with minn kota but not sure which model to get. are the Edge any good? thanks

Yes,buy as big as you can afford.30lbs of thrust or more would be best.24V will give you a longer run time using two 12 volt deep cycle batteries.

I have a 1426 jon, and I just bought a minn kota 30 thrust endura. ton's of power. some times to much power

Bought my 50lb MinnKota Edge thru Cabelas (refurb) for only $350 this year.

I really like it. It moves my 16 foot 1978 tin boat very well. It will really throw the front of the boat side ways if you have it on top speed - just about toss you out of the boat. I was worried about a refurb maybe being noisy, but the thing is really quiet ie, can't even tell it's on at speeds 1-3.

There is a HUGE difference between speed 4 and 5. A speed of 3 will hold me in a 15-20 mph wind. A speed of 4 will creep it along. A speed of 5 will get you going at walking speed even into the headwind.

Also I bought a new battery for the boat - biggest I could afford. Fished a 1.5 day tournament and still had 75% left on the battery and we used it a lot. Later, I charged the battery and fished for two days - doing my best to kill the battery - just to see how much juice the thing had. It never died. Day one was 9am till 2pm. Day 2 I finally got tired and went home (7am to 3am) the battery had 65% left per my gauge on the charger.

I really like the combination. - btw the battery was just a deep cycle from Fleet Farm. $80.

Will
:)

I am going to use my old MinnKota 30AT. It came off my now sold Smokercraft before I upgraded it. It moved my Smoker with a 50hp, 2 guys and full tank of fuel pretty decent and that boat would be heavier than your modded Jon.. Just my experience with it..

Latest posts