trolling motor mod question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbnelson

Reaction score
I have an evinrude 24 volt trolling motor on my jet boat and the shaft is too long even with the adjustable section raised all the way up. Is it possible to modify the shaft length at the end so it will run shallower? Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks for your help!

2011-08-18_18-08-32_211-1.jpg

Do a google search on it.

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=modify+trolling+motor+shaft&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest

Youll find a bunch of other guys have done it on different types successfully.

Thanks for the reply. I can't seem to find something on shortening the shaft of an OMC motor though. I will keep looking.

You may just have to disassemble it and see what you need to do..

Leed the OMC Crusade :)

I modified (shortened) a motorguide TM several years ago. I took the head off, unscrewed the shaft from the motor, cut the shaft to length (the top, non threaded end) , shortened the wires, put new connectors on them and reassembled it. The head unit was only held on with a pin so all I needed to do was drill a 1/4" hole for the pin to align and secure it.

Yeah I am just going to have to try taking it apart and hope for the best. Thanks for the help.