trolling motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sum-kina

Reaction score
OK GUYS I JUST HAD THE DNR AT THE HOUSE TO GIVE ME MY NEW HIN # FOR MY TIN....ONE STEP CLOSER TO THE WATER JUST WAITIN ON THE REGISTRATION TO GET HERE NOW. I HAVE A 1436 ALUMACRAFT

I GUESS TO MY QUESTION NOW! WHAT IS A GOOD BOW MOUNT FOOT CONTROLLED TROLLIN MOTOR TO GO WITH??
DO I GET ONE 12V OR 24V?
WHAT #THRUST?
ETC.....

018-1.jpg

I have always used (and been happy with) 12v trolling motors. That said, I am typically only fishing for 2-4 hours at a time. I have no idea how long my typical setup will last, but given a good battery I have yet to have any issues.

Just in case you don't know, I think you will have to install 2 batteries if you go with a 24v one. If you have an issue after you get a 12v one, you can add a 2nd battery if needed. (I think the 24v is still better both given 2 batteries.)

KRS

I agree to get the biggest you can afford. It also depends on what kind of water do you fish? If you fish in lilly pads, grass mats or tidal water you will need a 24v or 36v motor with that being said I wouldn't go smaller then 55lbs.

I have a 16 foot v boat witha 50 hp on the back. The boat is pretty heavy with 6 gallon gas tank, full livewell, two batteries and two fishermen - and lots of 3/4 inch plywood.

I have a 12 volt 55lb thrust troller and it works great. I can get into (and out of) the real thick pads and grass no problem.

If it was me, I'd go 55lb on your boat as well, it will move it no problem through just about anything you throw in it's way. On a good battery, I can use it all day long without any issues. If you want longer times, you could still use two batteries in parallel. But with a 12 volt troller, you aren't required to have 2 batteries.

Minn-Kota 50 to 55 lb 12 volt should be plenty.
I had a bow mounted hand controlled on my 16' semi-v allwelded with a center console and 60hp Evinrude and 12 gallon gas tank, and it worked great. Now I have G3 1548 with a 40lb bow mounted folding bracket hand controlled and a 40hp Johnson and it works good also. I always go with the hand controlled bow mounted fold out bracket because for the same poundage they are up to $200.00 cheaper. I install a foot operated switch on the deck and set the direction and speed and use the switch to control the movement of my boat.
P.S. You did not say your use would be salt or fresh water.

sorry it will be all freah water!
been lookin and doin my homework for a couple weeks now, and thanks for the help guys.
my dads got a 101lb on his storm bass boat (hand controlled) and it just seems like to much work... even with 3 bigfoot switches on the front deck. seems to be to much goin on and not enough fishin... worried bout witch way your headed!!

i really like the hands free with the foot controlled...

Latest posts