trying to find the right trolling motor...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVOMike86

Reaction score
I'm hopefully going to finish my boat when I get back in country, the only things really left are carpet, fish finder and trolling motor. I have an older foot controlled troller, but am thinking trying to convince the wife that I need a new one. My main question is- I will be going in saltwater a couple times a year, so would a freshwater motor be ok, or should I pay the extra money for a SW version?

I would pay the extra money for the SW version. The seals on the FW versions just can't stand up to the SW over the long term.

Ok, so I did some scouting, and what I wanted was a SW trolling motor that was wireless. Came up with this. This is the cheapest one I could find, some places wanted $200 more for the exact same one. If ANYONE knows where I can find a better deal on the same one, or one thats SW and wireless, let me know...
Minn Kota Riptide SP Bow-Mount Trolling Motor with CoPilot (55-lb Thrust 48" Shaft)
minn kota.jpg
Get optimized saltwater performance with Riptide SP's reengineered electric steer control, new deploy-assist lever and a host of features that set the standard for power and control. Comes standard with CoPilot hand control. New redesigned foot pedal is optional. This motor features 55lbs of thrust and a 48" shaft.
Amazon wants $690 for it. My birthday is in a month, my Dad is pretty good for getting me amazon gift cards for my birthday, told my Mom to do the same, and now hafta tell the wife to switch it from a BPS gift card to Amazon. Should be able to get it for about $200 out of my own pocket if everyone (my Wife) is as generous (with my money) as I hope they will be :wink:

SVOMike86

I have had the freshwater version of this TM (Power Drive) on my last 2 boats and never had any problem with them. I didn't have the co-pilot on mine but did have the auto pilot. I put a lot of hours on them and they were bullet proof. I would wipe a little silicon on the shaft every season to make it easier to deploy and stow.

If you decide to mount a transducer on yours running the wire is a little tricky because it has to go around the mount. This is the best picture I have of it. The transducer wire was fed through a clip mounted to the deploy handle and then fed through a hole in the small foredeck where the TM and sonar was mounted, the extra was coiled up and wired tied under the deck with enough slack to feed out when the TM was extended and I just fed it back in by hand when I stowed the TM. Someone has got to have better pictures of how they wired one then I do.

Attachments

• 168SC.jpg
    168SC.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 750
Sweet thanks! I'll have to do some more searching, I do want to put the transducer on it. Im crossing my fingers now. My Wife just messaged me on FB asking "What exactly do you want that could be $200 cheaper somewhere else"?? haha

HI MIKE IM ASSUMMING YOU ARE DEPLOYED AAT THE MOMENT? MY BROTHER RUNS THE TM YOUR LOOKING AT HE FISHES PRO WALLEYE, AND LOVES HIS DONT THINK IT WILL GIVA YA ANY PROBLEMS :D

Yeah, I'm in Afghanistan for a couple months installing tactical communications systems for the Army Corp of Engineers so they don't have to rely on the super spotty cell phone service if they take incoming while out of the wire. So I found that trolling motor earlier, but then realized I want the one with iPilot, which is an internal GPS that can record exact tracks and replicate them at the touch of a button. Some of the saltwater I fish is inlets that get super shallow when the tide goes out and I'm definitely not trying to get hung up out there. Only problem is it takes it from $690 to over $900. :?

I THOUGHT THE ONE YOU SHOWED DID MY BROTHERS HAS THE IPILOT FEATURE ITS NICE HE CAN ALSO SET IT TO TROLL CONTOURS AND SUCH ITS PRETTY CRAZY HOW WELL IT WORKS, BY THE WAY BE SAFE OVER THERE!!!!

Good to here your brother liked I-Pilot.
I just ordered a MK powerdrive V2 with I-Pilot.Can't wait to put it on my boat.
DanD

Latest posts