UHMW plastic on the bottom of a riveted jon boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Novicaine

Reaction score
Is this possible? I assume not, because the plastic wouldn't be tight against the boat. This is for a 18' boat that doesn't go over 25mph, usually less. On the other hand, if you took the time to countersink where the rivets are... maybe? I'm weighing options... if I did the UHMV I have access to inside the boat, so I could bolt it on or whatever.

I would like to do this myself. I am getting a 70 hp 2stroke intnational that a friend of mine has with the bolt in pump. I fish the James River in va and i like to go where i probably shoudnt. could you not put some big washers or some kind of block to bolt it to?

you are talking about alot of work to pot the uhmw on the bottom of the boat. more money and time then i would think a thin hulled riveted boat is worth. with the hull so thin it would just be a waste of time as the bolts would just pull out on the first bad hit.

you should really think about starting with a welded hull that is thicker say .160 and up. we only put the uhmw over 1/2" thick 6061 aluminum with 1/4" ss bolts

maybe for a john boat the new K5 would work better for you. but that also has a higher cost that is im sure more then the riveted hull was new.

if you plan to beat the bottom all the time then start with a strong hull so you will have many years of good boating in it

Attachments

• DSCN2461.JPG
    DSCN2461.JPG
    195.5 KB · Views: 3,219
  • DSCN2916.JPG
    DSCN2916.JPG
    202.2 KB · Views: 3,219
Montanaman, Can you give me some insight on what the difference is and what exactly is K5 ? Thanks , BLW

read this its all here
https://www.specialty-products.com/polyurea-products/polyurea-plural-component-coatings/k5-ultra-high-strength/

Google Crown Plastics "DuraSlick". It's thin (.090" I think) UHMW that is put on the bottom of drift boats and jon boats. Installed with an adhesive in a vacuum bag. I've thought about it myself for my next boat.

Latest posts