Unknown reel

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raven174us

Reaction score
I had gotten this reel with a bag of parts given to me. I've never seen on like it. It is an open bait caster but it has no release button. What are these type of reels used for. I figure it isn't much cause it has "Japan" stamped on the bottom. I can post a pic if needed.

If you could post a pic of it, it would probably help. If it is real small, I have seen small crappie style "baitcasters", which are actually used just for tightlining. You feed the line out manually and they don't have a release button.

Here are a couple pics.
DSCF2034.jpg

DSCF2036.jpg

How big is the reel in comparison to the average sized bass baitcaster? What kind of diameter has the reel got?

Looks like any other level wind conventional reel - it is not a bait caster so you would release line with a lever

You can see the line release lever here on the top right:

penn_330GT2_reel.gif

Captain Ahab said:
Looks like any other level wind conventional reel - it is not a bait caster so you would release line with a lever

You can see the line release lever here on the top right:

penn_330GT2_reel.gif

They are used for all types of fishing applications - since yours is small probably fresh water stuff - you will need a heavier weight to cast it very far, or just use it to bottom fish.

A photo of the handle side would help

Sorry, I meant to have a shot of the handle side when I took the other shots. Maybe it will just be something I store away till I find a use for it or someone else could use it.
DSCF2038.jpg

I have a reel that is similar to this, it’s a 1957 Shakespeare Imperial, and it sits on a shelf in my bathroom as a decoration. I personally don’t feel these reels have any place on the water today, but they are a neat little piece of fishing history.

I have a few of that type reel. My pappy used to have them mounted on small steel poles w/ red glass guides using 30# 'squidding' line [braided natural line] w/ 36" wire leaders we would troll large spoons in Ontario for Northern Pike. We'd just drop the spoon over the side and let it slide back as we moved along w/ our thumb on the spool. The guide that moves back 'N forth was advertised as 'level wind'...

They could form one huge birds nest in a heartbeat...a six to eight pound Pike was a handfull!

Latest posts