Vacation fishing, Gulf of Mexico and my gear?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodyPomeroy

Reaction score
Hey guys I need your opinions. I am going on a trip down to the Gulf Coast, Dauphine Island in Alabama to be specific. I read that the resort allows fishing from the docks. I don't have any saltwater gear and wonder if it would be a bad idea to use my freshwater gear there?

I know this is the reel and rod sub forum, but what sort of thing would I expect to catch and with what?

I wouldn't use high quality fresh water reels unless you plan to clean very good afterwards. You can expect possibly catch Red fish, Black drum, hard head catfish, croakers, sharks and maybe some flounder from the docks.

Your freshwater gear will work fine. Just rince very good with freshwater after each use. Be careful if you surf fish. Don't let the reel get soaked.

ive had good look with a jig head with a mr.twister sassy shad for specs, whites and reds. i use a 8ft catfish uglystik with a abu bait caster with 20lb mono.

we use a bass carolina rig with a heavy flouro leader for shimp/cut bait. you can replace the weight with a popping cork if the situation calls for it.

a double hook rig works good to your weight goes on the end of the line the tie 2 dropper knots up th line with a good size loop. stick the loops through the hook eye and around the hook.

everything eats shimp

you dont need a big bait to catch good fish. i caught this 27'' red
313781_10150327688806795_687136794_8160137_1024019926_n.jpg
on a 3'' shrimp

if you dont have a way to keep shimp alive(bucket and cheap battery minnow pump works fine) catch some croakers and pinfish on a bream hook with dead shrimp then fish them live or cut up.

saltwater cat will put you in a world of hurt!! watch the spines. and dont lip anything.

i talked to guide one time who swore by gulp shrimp and other products but i havent tried them to know.

if you dont have luck start chumming something will come.

and around a light at night is as good as it gets.

Bass stuff is fine, but be careful if it don't have stainless bearings. Rinse after using either way. I use my Curados and Abu 6000/6500s with medium rods. I'm talking about boat/bank/wade fishing. If you're pier fishing, a good long 8-12' spinning rod is advisable to get a long cast. It also needs some backbone to hoist a big fish up if you're on a tall pier.

Along with rinsing after each use, I'd suggest breaking it down when you get home, and give it a good going over. Salt will get everywhere inside. For a vacation time-frame )1-2 weeks) you'll be fine though. Some guys will say to dunk the reels in fresh, but I don't think that's wise.

Latest posts