Version 2.0

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VBTravisD

Reaction score
Welp, about a year ago I picked up my first tin boat... my lil 10' jon.

https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6676

It has served me well all summer... but it was time to upgrade so I picked up a 14' sears gamefisher yesterday. Had the thing hanging out of the bed of my midsize Dodge Dakota... #-o

The plan is lowest decks possible, cut accesses in the top of the benches for storage and create a little bow storage area. I am going to push this thing around with my 40# thrust Minn Kota Riptide. I am going to get an additional battery for nav lights and some little LEDs I picked up for night fishing.

Anyways... onto the pictures....

Attachments

• 14 and 10.JPG
    14 and 10.JPG
    250 KB · Views: 1,201
  • 14 footer.JPG
    14 footer.JPG
    260 KB · Views: 1,201
Nick Jones said:
You got the fever! The worst thing about doing a Mod is finishing. lol

That is an understatement... I was up till midnight last night messing with that thing... that's not so bad except I get up for work at 4:45am... #-o

I got the few pieces of old wood cut off on the front... I framed up my new bow section and cut the pieces of plywood to the deck, bench tops and bow. I coated all that in some Thompson's water seal this afternoon. Quick question for the guys who cut the tops out in their benches... Did the bench lose any structural integrity? I plan on cutting openings in the benches and putting carpeted plywood with piano hinges on top and I dont want the benches to bend... thoughts? I will eventually get a couple of pedestal seats on top of those but for the meantime my throw preserver will work just fine...

Also, playing hooky from work tomorrow and me and my brother are going to give it a quick leak test! [-o<

I found a deal on CL for a little 2hp 2 stroke johnson for $175... guy says it runs like a champ. Yall think it will push my 14' around well? I like the thought of a lightweight OB with a built in gas tank (which will save space). All the lakes around here are electric only or 9.9 and lower so it is not like I would be putting a 15 or 25 on the back. I'm not trying to set any speed records either.

....thoughts?

It did well on Friday, took on a little water, but not enough to make me worry.

Got the plywood carpeted... but accesses in the benches and framed up the bow... now... paint and title/registration and go fishing!

Still wondering what size motors you guys use to push your 14 footers!?

Attachments

• carpeted.JPG
    carpeted.JPG
    211.8 KB · Views: 1,110
I think you are going to want more than a 2HP, that is really going to just be an egg beater. I have a 10' jon with a 4HP and it pushes it good. For a 14 footer I would want a minimum of 4HP up to your HP limit of 9.9. Say you are out on the lake, far from the launch and a summer Tstorm blows up, you'll appreciate the HP for the return trip! Better to have and not need it than to need it and not have it.....

We had 70 degree weather today so I called my brother this morning and we threw the boat in the bed of my truck and went out... Beautiful day! My nephew (2nd time fishing) did a great job. He was casting all by himself (AND NOT HOOKING US!)... With about 5 minutes left in the day he was up on the bow casting and reeling in all by himself... "I think I got something"... me and my brother roll our eyes... then we look up and see his ultralight bent in half! Caught his first 3/4 lb bass! Very proud of him... "when are we going again?" Too bad we are going to be in the low 50's all next week... #-o

Attachments

• Drew fighting.JPG
    Drew fighting.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 1,013
  • Drew bass.JPG
    Drew bass.JPG
    205.2 KB · Views: 1,013
And this is the one I caught on a rattle trap... Brand new reel and I had not set the drag yet... Bass took it and the drag was SCREAMING... tightened it down... fought for a good minute or two... put it on the scale... 3 pounder.

Notice you do not see any pictures of my brother holding fish... he poked fun at me this morning when I called him... "Weather's been too cold, we aren't gonna catch anything! But whatever, let's go..." He jinxed himself for the rest of the day! :lol:

Attachments

• my bass.JPG
    my bass.JPG
    213.3 KB · Views: 1,013
Took on a little bit of water... so I have to address that. And the boat still needs paint. But when the opportunity to go fishing arises... I had to jump on it! hahaha....

Latest posts