Vexilar fish/depth finder question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Wirtzer

Reaction score
How do I tell if my transducer is bad or if the actual unit is bad? I just get a red line at the top of the dial and no depth readings at all. I don't want to spend $89 on a new transducer to find out that the actual unit has crapped out.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Tim, That is probably the only way you will know for sure which one is bad.
I have a Humminbird 1197c and had the same issue. Fortunately I found another
HB in Craig's list for $25.....not the same unit, but the transducer was good enough
for me to determine the ducer on the 1197 was bad. It would be great if you
could locate someone near you that had a similar unit that would be willing to let you
use his for testing......Jerry :)

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=320556#p320556 said:
The Wirtzer » 28 Jun 2013, 22:35[/url]"]How do I tell if my transducer is bad or if the actual unit is bad? I just get a red line at the top of the dial and no depth readings at all. I don't want to spend $89 on a new transducer to find out that the actual unit has crapped out.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Do you hear any ticking from the transducer? If not, it's shot for sure.

Vex makes some really stout transducers and units, but you should still see a false bottom echo without water with the gain up. You could also try filling up a garbage can and see if it registers the bottom. If not, seeing as how you're in MN, are you a member of Iceshanty? I'd bet there's someone close to you that would let you borrow an ice transducer to see if it'd work. I know I've loaned out my Marcum transducer to trouble shoot a few times...

(or - you know, you could just get a new Marcum :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )

Latest posts