Want proof that catch and release works?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek

Reaction score
I went out fishing yesterday afternoon, skipped out of work early. I hooked a nice bass on the end of a long cast. She jumped right away and we saw how big she was. I just wanted her to stay hooked. Im glad she did and I was glad my buddy Rich was right there with the net. Anyway I noticed the fish had a piece of its tail missing, a scar I had seen before. Not the usual spawning scars that are normally on the bottom of the tail, but she had a chunk missing in the middle.

thumbnails

Well when I got home I realized I had just re-caught the same fish as I had earlier in the year. The first time was on 4-10-10 so yesterday was 66 days later. I caught her 1/2 mile across to the other side of the 66 acre lake I was fishing. First time on a jig and this time on a crank bait. The fish was def smaller yesterday then it was during pre-spawn.
here is the picture from last time, compare the tails

thumbnails

Pretty cool! I wish I had the pics to prove it, but I did the exact same thing earlier this year. Same fish, same bait, and within 30 yards of the same dock.

We catch fish all of the time in KY Lake that still have hook marks on their mouths. :shock:

Can't say as I have ever caught one that I knew for sure was the same fish other than in a small pond, though.

Years ago, I had caught the same fish (more than one) repeatedly for months on a small neighborhood lake. After 2 or 3 times, they started getting names :LOL2:

I caught this fish twice, and someone else caught it that was with me one day.

scan0001.jpg

Miss that lake :(

That's pretty cool! When I was a kid, I had a few fish named on the lake I grew up on based on their scars. Caught a few of them quite a few times. I always thought it was so cool to catch a fish I recognized and say hello once again and then gently let them go back into the lake in hopes of seeing them again. I sure miss those days...

Thats pretty sweet. I used to film two deer that were brothers, I filmed them for 3 years & watched them grow into a couple big bucks. Was great to watch what a year & management, passin them up would let them do. That's bout as close as I could relate to what you got w/ catchin that basss twice. 8)

That's cool and rewarding. I tag fish for the state of LA and have had 3 of them caught by other people who turned the tag in. I also tagged and released a Sailfish in Key West and it was caught again 3 years later.

Happened to me, although in a 6 acre pond.
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3786&hilit=fishinsmylife

1st time
850A0678.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

2nd time
zzzzzzzz-1.jpg

zzzzzzzzzzz-2.jpg

The distinguishing feature from all other bass: a double first spine on its dorsal fin.
zzzzzzzzzzzz-4.jpg

This was a while back, but not long ago some little kid caught a 7 pounder and kept it to get mounted out of this pond. I didn't get to see it, but it might have been this bass caught one final time..

Awesome, thanks for sharing....When I fished down on lake fork in Texas, there was this one cove where this 5 # bass could be repetitively caught during the day. It stayed on one specific tree. Well I went in there and caught him and man was that fished mouth riddle with hole from being hooked so much. She was healthy and fat, but I guess she couldn't resist the sight of a lure.

I haven't ever caught the same fish twice myself(that I know of), However on the musky lake I typically fish they have started a tagging system a few years ago which involve floy tags which have specific numbers on them. August 23rd of last year I caught this 40" musky with a tag number of "023", about a month later on Sept. 27th a fishing buddy of mine post a report stating he had caught a 40" fish with the tag number of "023" also.....And the funny thing is, When I caught the fish...that was my first time I had ever caught and released a musky while I was by myself....so it felt good to know that I made a successful release of that fish so it could be caught again. Here are the pics of the fish when they were caught by me and my buddy...

IMG_0295.jpg

40intag.jpg

There was a bass in our pond with crooked tail that we caught for years and was caught by many different people and released it was fun to watch him grow.

catch and release is the way to go, if not their would be no fish left. "Big fish make more Big Fish" :mrgreen:

Thats so cool, I did it with a pickeral, it broke my line, 15 minutes later I got my slider head and worm back

Latest posts