water proofing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coat it in resin or epoxy, both sides.

Lasts for a very long time that way.

Sink a layer of fiberglass matt in the resin and it will be add strength to the wood if you use a thinner stock.

It's not a cheap process though. Somewhere around 50 bucks for a gallon of resin and hardener.

The key is to keep the water off the wood or shed and dry as fast as possible.

great white said:
Coat it in resin or epoxy, both sides.
Sink a layer of fiberglass matt in the resin and it will be add strength to the wood if you use a thinner stock./quote]

Thanks for the tip. I use resin a lot but I had not thought of being able to use thinner material. I have mainly used the fiberglass mat when I will be using the wood as a clamping surface for motors, etc.

I will not be standing on the bow so maybe I can get a different size plywood, like 5/8?? I dont know about painting the aluminum, all I know I have seen pictures what it does to the aluminum. I plan on just putting board down under our feet but not the entire floor. Someone told me 3/4in If you think a different thickness will work I am all ears. I would think you need 3/4 in for the flooring???[/quote]

I agree with Ahab, 3/4" will add a lot of weight. If you are just covering the support ribs of a Jon, I would go with 1/2" or 5/8" max. If you are worried about it flexing you can always put styrofoam panels under it to help limit the amount of flex. This will also add floatation back in the event that you removed some elsewhere, not to mention the sound deafening benefits.

I also agree that your carpet will need replaced long before the wood panels; however if you want to add some protection to them just give them a good coat or two of paint.

I used Thompson's Waterseal. I would probably use spar varnish next time, but my wood is holding up great. I think I put 3 coats on. My boat has been in the weather a few times, but I just open everything up & let it dry out. The epoxy Ahab is talking about is a good idea as well. I used 3/4 because I am fat. I probably could have used thinner but I wanted to be safe.

I am going to use 3/8 ply and 2 layer of 6 oz glass for all my decks this will be way more stronger than 3/4 plywood would ever be I might even just us 1/4 on the bottom deck just have to see how tight it will be with the foam. That is 2 layers both sides of the wood.

I am sorry but can you explain this 2 layers of glass?? I dont know what you are talking about, I am cherry to all of this

sgt tee said:
I am sorry but can you explain this 2 layers of glass?? I dont know what you are talking about, I am cherry to all of this

Fiberglass.

The fiberglass will help give it strength so you can use lighter weight wood. Plus it will last many many year passed when I am dead and gone... Lol... Glass is not for everyone it does add some cost to the rebuild of the deck but I think this way I can save on weight and will never have to redo the deck again.

I would just hit up eBay and get some mat and resin from there try are selling kits if west system got like a 120 bu me shipped that is with the pumps that way it will be mixed right and get the slow stuff that away it will soak up in the wood better

harleydoc said:
The fiberglass will help give it strength so you can use lighter weight wood. Plus it will last many many year passed when I am dead and gone... Lol... Glass is not for everyone it does add some cost to the rebuild of the deck but I think this way I can save on weight and will never have to redo the deck again.

Or just use aluminum and save on weight and time!

great white said:
sgt tee said:

Fiberglass.
I know its fiberglass, but do you mix and then paint this stuff on the wood?? Give me some names of the stuff, yes I would go with all aluminum but the prices are up right now for metals

I used thompsons and 1/2" plywood carpeted over, with sundeck vinyl on the lower deck. so far so good.relatively inexpensive and like mentioned before,plywood will come off with the old carpet when its time to redo. mine is parked in my heated garage and doesn't get a soaking very often.

Just my opinion
I usually use 15/32 exterior plywood for weight and strength -- double layers for lids etc. -- I've found most of the waterproofing either dont soak in because of the glues in the plywood or I have to add too much material which adds weight -- I've also used fiberglass resin and gelcoat brushed on and it tends to crack which defeats the purpose --- so I look at my boats like the wife looks at the living room, it wont be too long before I change it up again so I leave the plywood untreated --

I use the west system expoy it real need a layer of glass on on it to make it last and not crack. I would put a 1oz layer of mat and them a 6oz layer of cloth Down to get the best strength and the cloth with make it tough to stand up to dropping thing one it if you just use the expoy it will crack as soon as u drop some thing one it.

Latest posts