Water Pump Gasket Material?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minuteman62-64

Reaction score
Because of circumstances beyond my control (age of motor, availability of parts, native Yankee penny pinching genes, etc.) I want to make the gasket that goes between the water pump housing and base plate on my 1982 Mariner. The OEM gaskets are thin and stiff - definitely not just plain paper. What do I need as source material to make this gasket and where to obtain (auto supply, marine dealer, other)?

Will the water pump gasket material sold in my local auto parts dealer work OK?

IMO a good grade of gasket material from auto store will be fine. I have a set of hole punches, I think intended for leather, that come in very handy for making gaskets.

So far, so good. Got some gasket material from local O'Reileys. Best stuff they had was 1/64" thick. OEM gaskets are 3/64" thick. So, I cut a gasket (using OEM gasket as a template), coated one side with NAPA Aviation Gasket Cement and laid it down on the material. Then cut around the first cut out. Repeated one more time and I had a pretty good replicate of the OEM gasket. Put it back together and it is working good.

Had some spare time, so, made a couple of extras for future use. Took about 20 minutes/gasket.