Water pump

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Action

Reaction score
I am working with a 1972 Johnson 20 hp. I just got it running and just wondering about exiting from a hole in lower unit just behind motor mount. Here is a picture....the water in question is pretty much in the middle of picture. I am guessing this is not right....
Thanks for any help.
Jack
Water pump.jpg

Yes and no, and maybe.

It could be a sign of a leak in the lil round sleeve that seals the water tube to the pump or engine. My motor does this and I know that this is my issue due to the construction of my motor, but I fugure as long as I have good cooling and a strong tell tale it doesnt bother me. I also have the luxury of a temp sending unit which you probably do not have so take that into account.

Some motors will do this as they pass cooling water down the log past that hole.

If your just putting this motor back into service youre going to want to replace the impeller and youll be digging around near those sleeves anyway and can easily replace them or at least the one on the lower end near the pump.

Thank you... It does seem to have pretty good water coming out althought not a piss stream like im used to but i think it is good. I will be putting in a new impeller just because....