What a hornets nest...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wihil

Reaction score
Was going to take the boat out today to the far side of the big lake, but as I started around the block I noticed an odd noise from the trailer. Swung back home, tossed the boat/trailer up on jackstands and spun the tires. One seemed okay, the other barely made a quarter turn.

I'd been meaning to tear into the bearings anyway, but putting it off for a while as I wasn't really sure about getting into them. After what I paid for the whole rig, I knew it was on borrowed time and was trying to decide if I really wanted to keep the trailer anyway. I was already into it for a set of lights and new bunks, so I though I'd try the bearings/wheels.

First off - major thanks and kudos to the sticky at the top of the page that has the Youtube video of how to replace everything. That video kicks butt.

Took the tires off and inspected them - they were old, worn, and cracking along the sidewalls. Looks like I'll need new tires.
Looked at the rims - rusted out, pitted, and some rounding where the lug bolts went through. Time for new rims...

Popped the bearing cap on one and was greeted with water pouring out. Uh oh. Grease was shot, bearings rusted out. Spindle looked ugly but still okay. Well, the video made it look easy - and the journals are shot, so lets just pop those out. Huh. It looked easier on the video. *bangbangbangbang* They aren't budging. Get a bigger hammer *bangbangbangbangbangbang - POP!* Ah, they're out! Unfortunately, the inside of the hubs are now all monkeyed up from excessing hammering.

So - Off to the store for two new complete wheels, two 1" hub assembles (last two on the shelf!) with complete parts, grease, and all the little crap. $170 later, I'm back home to start the reassembly.

Packing the bearings went easy enough - messy for the first one, second was better. By the time I got to the final one I looked like the guy in the video just ripping through it. Hubs went on smooth, bearings seated great, new tires bolted on and spun around the block to test. Just like new. Kinda bummed I missed the afternoon bite, but this was more important.

The one thing I wish I would have bought when I was at the store was a set of bearing buddies. I wasn't sure it would be something I'd need, but now that I've got a better idea of what's going on with them and how they work I'll probably pick up a set.

So thanks again, Tinboats - you guys are teaching me a ton!

=D> =D> :mrgreen:

And hear I thought I was going to see a picture of a huge hornets nest in an oddball place.
Ah well, at least your trailer is now good to go. :D

Glad you discovered the problem before it really became a problem like ruining a spindle or worse. Well I'll bet you are too. :lol: