What are the best rod holders while towing?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsweber82

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm trying to find some options for securing my fishing rods inside the boat at all times, not while fishing but more for storage, and keeping secure in tow. The only rod holders I can find are the ones to be used while fishing. How do you guys secure your rods to your boats? Any links to the holders you use would be great. Something
That keeps them secure but will also allow me to secure 2 rods on each side. Btw I have a 14ft alumacraft jon. Thanks!

You don't mention what type/length of rods, but I use the BPS stretch cords similar to a bungee cord, they work good for me in my tracker. I just line the rods up on the floor close to the gunnels and stretch the cord over 'em, no issues for several years.

I bought some cheapies at a local sporting goods store. They were originally designed for wall mount, but I mounted them directly to the side ribs and can hand 4 rods/reels to them. They stay there unless I'm fishing. Only complaint I have is that my ribs are further apart and I can't support the ends of the rod very well on a longer rod. I keep one 7'6" rod in the boat and the reel end dangles at the back while the front sits over the top of the low deck. Hard to explain, and if the truck weren't in the way I'd go snap a photo of it. Perhaps in the morning before I go to work.

Those rod holders I think held 5 rods a piece, but they were too tall to fit on my ribs so I cut one off, to make them shorter and to fit 4 rods, which is all I carry anyway. Some guys spider rig around here and carry 30-40 rods, but 4 is confusing enough for me.

These: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Berkley-Vertical-Rod-Rack/16637397

and a pic of how I have them screwed down to my boat.
rod holder.JPG

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=336086#p336086 said:
TNtroller » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:35 am[/url]"]You don't mention what type/length of rods, but I use the BPS stretch cords similar to a bungee cord, they work good for me in my tracker. I just line the rods up on the floor close to the gunnels and stretch the cord over 'em, no issues for several years.

That's how my father-in-law and I do it on his Lowe bass boat. To be safe we make sure the reels are on the bow side of the bungee. Suffice it to say my father-in-law can sometimes be a "spirited" driver even with the boat in tow. We've never had them move around on us.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I love the idea of the wall mounts but I'm not sure if they would work in my boat. I still have the bench in the middle so there is only a few inches above it I could work with. I will look into the rod saver straps. Will you guys post a link to the ones you use? Or let me know the brand and type?

Thanks again!