What can be used in place of a trolling motor plug?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyeguy1212

Reaction score
Im trying to reduce the cost of my mod, and I'm looking for a cheap alternative to using a trolling motor plug to make my TM removable.

The TM will be mounted on the bow (its a transom mount), the wires will go through a hold in the deck to the storage area, connected with what(?) to the wires that go from storage, under the deck, to the battery compartment. So in other words, the TM wires will be disconnected and pulled from the hole in the deck, leaving the permanent wires that run from the storage area to the battery area.

What can I use? It will be a water proof area, and Im just looking for something cheap that will help me avoid a 30 dollar plug.

I'll be using 6 gauge wire.

Thanks guys

you can buy replacement ends for extension cords, might save you a bit. or move battery up further, mine is in front of middle seat and is perfect for my boat as far as weight distribution goes.

You should find these locally but I posted this link so you could see what they look like.Click on power pole connectors & terminals & a pic of these will come up.I use these for a quick connect for my motor.When I bought mine they where about $6.

https://www.kayjayco.com/catPConnectors.htm

you can use the plugs like crazy recommended... but I wouldn't use house hold plugs - too much loss.

You can get a terminal block where you use ring terminals, then when you want to undo the TM, you just screw the caps off. There is less loss with this method than there is when using plugs.

You hook pos to top and neg to the bottom on one side - then on the other side goes the TM - the link below is rated at 50amp and is only $5 and change

https://shop.genuinedealz.com/Items...0tb2&caTitle=50 Amp 2 Position Terminal Block

I found mine at a Hi-Lo place.Not sure where your located.The connector I was refering to is rated at 50 amps.Very easy to work with.I've had mine for about 4 years with no problems out in the weather.

don't know if my idea would work, but don't see why not, those cords are made to handle as much amps as TM would pull, i'm sure the average construction site uses a cord pulling more amps than any TM. that little plug that minn kota sells won't handle as much power as a heavy duty extension cord plug, never seen it done either but just coming up with ideas for you. all these ideas posted sound good, just depends on which way you want to go.

seems like an extension cord plug would be the easiest, considering I know right where to find them, and I've hooked them up a million times before... my only concern would be that 6 gauge wire might be too thick for it.

I'd need to get the 2 prong style, because I don't have a ground wire.

dyeguy1212 said:
seems like an extension cord plug would be the easiest, considering I know right where to find them, and I've hooked them up a million times before... my only concern would be that 6 gauge wire might be too thick for it.

I'd need to get the 2 prong style, because I don't have a ground wire.

pretty sure it will still work without the ground... the previous owner of my new boat used 12/2 electrical wire to run the trolling motor and had it connected with wire nuts

I've seen it done.

Back in the day before trolling motors had dedicated plugs, people used to wire up a cord plug on the trolling motor and mount an outdoor outlet box near the bow that was wired back to the battery. It worked like a charm.

I see you have your mind made up and it's a good idea.
I have something like this
https://www.winchdepot.com/Winches-Winch-Accessories/Quick-Connect.aspx?t_c=18&t_pl=4574&t_pn=WAR62261&t_pt=5148&t_s=124
I think the wire comes with that one,seems reasonable.

looks like a good idea mac. I'll probably go to HD and find the cheapest and highest quality plug I can. I'll be sure to fill everyone in as to how it works. I had no idea there were simple options.

I do have on other question tho... what type of amperage should I be looking for?

I looked at them twist lock plugs and sockets and for the amperage I wanted they were way more expensive then the winch plug/socket or I would have probably went that route also.

I used heavy duty extension cord replacement ends. Get the kind with a ground but dont hook it to anything. That way power and ground is correct every time you plug it in. I have converted all my 12v acces. to house hold type plugs. Added house hold type outlets in several places through out the boat for easy access with out cords running every where.

Attachments

• boat mods8em.jpg
    boat mods8em.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 418

Latest posts