What have you been up to lately?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waiting for the sun to come back... dark winter's are lame. Anyhow, still researching and adding up parts for an engine rebuild for my truck.

If my truck doesn't take all my time this year hopefully I can get the boat out. I got it rebuilt into good shape, still have one more medium sized project I want to do to it to "complete" it, but it's a nice machine now.

Being retired can suck at times in the winter. Especially when it’s too cold to boat and fish, and archery season is over. I took on a little part time gig job to get me off my *** and I get a little extra $ to feed my fishing habit. As soon as spring gets here bye bye job😎

I'm waiting for spring fishing. In the mean time, I have been able to get some part time work. I'm mostly retired, but it's nice to make a few coins for excess spending. I'm a handyman and I fix houses for old folks like myself. This week and last, I have been rebuilding a basement that was ruined by a leaky basement wall. Big job. I'll be done next week and then I'll start phase 2 which is installing the flooring, doors and trim.
AND... I got a dog a week ago. A 2 year old dog from the Humane Society. Just a beautiful dog. It's a Belgium Malinois. I'll take her fishing, hiking and hunting for fun.

I'm waiting for spring fishing. In the mean time, I have been able to get some part time work. I'm mostly retired, but it's nice to make a few coins for excess spending. I'm a handyman and I fix houses for old folks like myself. This week and last, I have been rebuilding a basement that was ruined by a leaky basement wall. Big job. I'll be done next week and then I'll start phase 2 which is installing the flooring, doors and trim.
AND... I got a dog a week ago. A 2 year old dog from the Humane Society. Just a beautiful dog. It's a Belgium Malinois. I'll take her fishing, hiking and hunting for fun.
Your pup will make a great friend, treat her right and you won't be dissapointed...

No pics at this time but my wife has gotten into my head now about buying a new boat. I started out wanting something 14' with a couple of seats so I could go out on my own and contemplate life. That has turned into "Honey, we'd like to join you on some rides and I don't think that size boat will do."

I now find myself entertaining larger family style boats 20'-26' in range.

No pics at this time but my wife has gotten into my head now about buying a new boat. I started out wanting something 14' with a couple of seats so I could go out on my own and contemplate life. That has turned into "Honey, we'd like to join you on some rides and I don't think that size boat will do."

Screen Shot 2024-01-27 at 4.33.58 PM.png

My wife has mentioned, now for the second time, that if we're going to stay in the current acreage, we need to seriously consider a utility tractor with a front loader bucket. The motivation for the latest mention was removal of snow drifts from the driveway. If we did that, I would sell the current ATV and snow blade setup. I've been using the ATV like a tractor during the warm weather months to pull a small garden cart loaded with various things when performing chores.

Listen to the wife!!

What does she want? She is wanting something big and is egging you on to buy a bigger boat so she can have some leverage in the future.

I agree, buy whatcha want. You're the one who'll always be onboard. Not the wife and certainly not your daughter who at 14.....LOL man you have no clue. Soon you'll only see her coming and going. Father of two daughters here. Buying a boat bigger than your needs will likely just be a bigger headache to deal with. Hard to beat a 14' tinny. Just getcha a wide one and call it good. Maybe something with a side helm.

What does she want? She is wanting something big and is egging you on to buy a bigger boat so she can have some leverage in the future.
I'm not sure what you mean "So she can have leverage in the future." I've got a good wife, of course she also wants something she'll be comfortable with, it's normal to try getting what you want in life.

I agree, buy whatcha want. You're the one who'll always be onboard. Not the wife and certainly not your daughter who at 14.....LOL man you have no clue. Soon you'll only see her coming and going. Father of two daughters here. Buying a boat bigger than your needs will likely just be a bigger headache to deal with. Hard to beat a 14' tinny. Just getcha a wide one and call it good. Maybe something with a side helm.
You have great points, but I enjoy my daughter, she's a great kid and if I only have 4 years or so left with her, I want to maximize that time, not minimize it. Sure it's a sacrifice and a PIA when I have to sell the bigger boat, but we make sacrifices all the time. I'm in a tough spot, but I also will enjoy the larger boat and the comfort it brings. I'll have to bite the bullet, family is important to me.

You have great points, but I enjoy my daughter, she's a great kid and if I only have 4 years or so left with her, I want to maximize that time, not minimize it. Sure it's a sacrifice and a PIA when I have to sell the bigger boat, but we make sacrifices all the time. I'm in a tough spot, but I also will enjoy the larger boat and the comfort it brings. I'll have to bite the bullet, family is important to me.

I went from a 15' to an 18' boat. While heavier, the 18', being a tin boat, is still relatively light and not difficult to handle. When it comes to trailering, launching and retrieving, the truth is there is little difference. When it comes to comfort and room, there is a big difference. Family wants to spend time with you on the boat -- life is good!

I went from a 15' to an 18' boat. While heavier, the 18', being a tin boat, is still relatively light and not difficult to handle. When it comes to trailering, launching and retrieving, the truth is there is little difference. When it comes to comfort and room, there is a big difference. Family wants to spend time with you on the boat -- life is good!
Yup, that's how I see it. My mom absolutely refused to go out with my dad on the boat when we were kids. He made the ride unenjoyable for her, barking orders. The fact my wife and daughter want to be with me is rewarding in a way I cannot describe. I will do all I can to make them happy. So this next boat is looking more and more like it won't be tin, oh well. Hope I'm still welcome in the group.

Yup, that's how I see it. My mom absolutely refused to go out with my dad on the boat when we were kids. He made the ride unenjoyable for her, barking orders. The fact my wife and daughter want to be with me is rewarding in a way I cannot describe. I will do all I can to make them happy. So this next boat is looking more and more like it won't be tin, oh well. Hope I'm still welcome in the group.

As long as it has aluminum on it somewhere, they will let you in the door.

That reminds me, I'm looking forward to watch what @LaqueRatt does with that tri-hull. So you won't be alone.

I've went off-topic. Recently developed an interest in string instruments, (Banjo, Ukulele, Guitar), but home-built from "alternative" materials. First effort is a "travel uke". Yeah.....there's a few woodworking faux pas, but the memory is starting to dig up my woodworking skills.
Here it is, complete with the exception of some wood finish, and even has a pickup for plugging in.
Also have the materials for a banjo-ukulele from an 8" stainless sauce pan.

Pay no never-mind to the messy basement workbench.

Roger.....who doesn't even know how to play.

Attachments

• Travel Uke 1.jpg
    Travel Uke 1.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 0
I've been passing time this winter hunting coyote and fox . Technology sure has come a long way since I started doing this as a kid with a piece of Styrofoam and plate of glass as a caller. Now it's all electronic callers and thermal optics.

Attachments

• IMG_2293.jpg
    IMG_2293.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 0