What have you been up to lately?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to go to Jersey City every Jan or Feb for meetings. I recall seeing some boats shrink wrapped.
Liberty landings marina, liberty harbor are 2 in JC I'm aware of. Going to at least one tomorrow with a list if questions about pricing, I hate nickel and diming. I like a firm price, no surprises. We will see.

Liberty landings marina, liberty harbor are 2 in JC I'm aware of. Going to at least one tomorrow with a list if questions about pricing, I hate nickel and diming. I like a firm price, no surprises. We will see.

I remember Liberty Landing. I think that is where I saw them.

Good luck with the preview.

You don't know my daughter or our family situation. In general, I'd agree with you. But my daughter is somewhat isolated from friends as her school is a 15 minute drive away and her new school will be 25 minutes away. So she doesn't have many friends to hang with on a regular day. Of course I have thought that she will want to bring along some friends from time to time so Easter week we're flying out to your neck of the woods to test ride this boat. 239 Sunstar | Splendor Boats Room for 12.
That looks like a fine family boat. If you decide to stay aluminum seaark has the big easy with pontoon like furniture on a 22 or 24ft hull. Xpress has the 23 xbay lounge with lots of forward seating and it can take dual 150hp outboards if you choose. If you do go fiberglass then I hope you enjoy the new rig and stick around. Plenty of good info here that applies to boats in general regardless of hull material.

That looks like a fine family boat. If you decide to stay aluminum seaark has the big easy with pontoon like furniture on a 22 or 24ft hull. Xpress has the 23 xbay lounge with lots of forward seating and it can take dual 150hp outboards if you choose. If you do go fiberglass then I hope you enjoy the new rig and stick around. Plenty of good info here that applies to boats in general regardless of hull material.
Thanks for the recommendations.

I remember Liberty Landing. I think that is where I saw them.

Good luck with the preview.
There are actually 3 marinas in a grouping. One that was in pic and span shape one has in water, no winter on land storage and no parking. That sucks! Yes I could leave the boat in year round, use a bubbler if ice formed but you still need to pull it for service, and power washings. Plus the hull will absorb water over time.

Spot #2 didn't have anyone on duty to break down services and fees so they said they will call me tomorrow. They do have property so parking looks possible as does dry storage for winter, but some of the docks were tattered.

Spot 3 was $369 a foot for year round wet/dry storage, coupled with service I'd be between 10-11k per year.

No pics at this time but my wife has gotten into my head now about buying a new boat. I started out wanting something 14' with a couple of seats so I could go out on my own and contemplate life. That has turned into "Honey, we'd like to join you on some rides and I don't think that size boat will do."

I now find myself entertaining larger family style boats 20'-26'
If you are going to bite the bullet, I have the perfect solution.
Buy that 26 footer for her comfort and buy a 12 or 14 foot tinny so you can just hook up and scoot
With minimal effort and dunk it in a small lake or pond Or,,,,,, Get a fishing kayak…..

Just throwing that out there..
LOL..

I agree with this. I have a buddy, you remind me of him actually. He's hard-headed and doesn't think things through. He set out to buy himself a fishing boat and ended up with a "family" boat. Only problem is his fam isn't all that interested! So now he has a boat that just sits. It's not worth a crap for fishing so he doesn't fish.

I told him just what Basstracker just told you. Buy yourself a fishing boat. Your wife has HER boat, now buy yourself something small and fun. It sounds to me like you're lost in the fantasy of what it would be like to have wonderful days out on the water with your family which is fine. I hope it works out that way for you.

To spend so much on this though may not be wise. Buying an older boat to test the water, pun intended! Makes more sense than going all in on an expensive boat. Especially a heavy one that will require a serious tow vehicle. Geez this seems like deja vu to me. So guess I'll shaddap. Some people just have to learn the hard way. At least my buddy had the sense to buy a used boat.

If you are going to bite the bullet, I have the perfect solution.
Buy that 26 footer for her comfort and buy a 12 or 14 foot tinny so you can just hook up and scoot
With minimal effort and dunk it in a small lake or pond Or,,,,,, Get a fishing kayak…..

Just throwing that out there..
LOL..
He could compromise and find a 18-22 footer that would do both. Several companies make fish n ski types if he's after fiberglass and several tin boat companies make big center consoles with seating for the family . A couple tinnies have the fish n ski type layouts too.

I agree with this. I have a buddy, you remind me of him actually. He's hard-headed and doesn't think things through. He set out to buy himself a fishing boat and ended up with a "family" boat. Only problem is his fam isn't all that interested! So now he has a boat that just sits. It's not worth a crap for fishing so he doesn't fish.

I told him just what Basstracker just told you. Buy yourself a fishing boat. Your wife has HER boat, now buy yourself something small and fun. It sounds to me like you're lost in the fantasy of what it would be like to have wonderful days out on the water with your family which is fine. I hope it works out that way for you.

To spend so much on this though may not be wise. Buying an older boat to test the water, pun intended! Makes more sense than going all in on an expensive boat. Especially a heavy one that will require a serious tow vehicle. Geez this seems like deja vu to me. So guess I'll shaddap. Some people just have to learn the hard way. At least my buddy had the sense to buy a used boat.
You're coming across as pretty insulting. Again you know very little about me, my family and our past boating experiences. I have an open enough mind to say, "You have points and you may be right on some of them." Seems you want to be right at the expense of insulting me. I was raised on the water, lived in a waterfront house since I was 5 years old, got away from the waterfront a few years after Sandy. So 75% of my years I have owned a boat on the water. My daughter and extended family have always enjoyed the boat as has my wife. I also enjoy my immediate family's company. We enjoy exploring new things especially via water route

You also don't know my finances and me taking a "financial loss" the size of a boat is no big deal to me compared with the potential upside. Buying a used boat that is 14' is an easy buy, you look for cracks, pin holes, pitting and you see how well the outboard runs day of purchase. You're all in for 5K. If the engine fails it's another 5K. If the lights fail it's easy to run new lines. On a 24' boat you get into much more complex issues, do I want the boat sitting in some shop all season long losing value and frustrating me and the family or do I want to be on the water with a smile on everyone's face?

If you find in the future you cannot address me without insulting me, don't offer a response at all. I don't have the time to open my life up to you so that you'll understand better. If you can however keep from making this mistake, by all means, offer your insights, I do have an open mind.

Last edited:
He could compromise and find a 18-22 footer that would do both. Several companies make fish n ski types if he's after fiberglass and several tin boat companies make big center consoles with seating for the family . A couple tinnies have the fish n ski type layouts too.
I looked into a very nice 16' slightly used boat with a 60 HP on back, would have gotten the job done for me and my kids/friends etc. My wife is a little spoiled, she's a city girl and believes when you spend on things like lifelong hobbies you get everything you want or at least close to it. When we vacation we spend, when we boat we want comfort and room for others in case others join. When I buy a guitar, it's a guitar I want, not the cheapo $200 Chinese model.

We work hard, earn well, and have invested better, call us lucky, smart, fortunate, whatever. But my wife made a persuasive argument when we talked about getting a boat again. As much as I want a small little tinner, I also want them with me as much as possible. Life is full of sacrifices, this is just one of many, and we all make them. I do appreciate the advice and opinions.

It's almost as much fun shopping for boats as having one. Take your time and sea trial as many boats as you can with family. When you find the right one, everyone will probably agree

I had a similar situation as you describe. I've had a series of boats. The 19' bowrider got a LOT of use. Then, I moved up to a Grady White. It also got a lot of use and was very seaworthy and super comfortable. Eventually, it wasn't getting much use, so I sold it.

Eventually, I landed on my current 22' Bay boat with a 150 on the back. Big, wide, fast, roomy, rated to carry 11 people, fuel efficient, easy to tow, etc. Love it! We took it on the lake every summer and wakeboard, tube and ski, grill food up front, hang out, eat, swim, sightsee, etc. And I fish the Bay with it. It has been awesome:

Resized_20190519_114758.jpeg

When we moved near Lake Anna, I picked up a 14' tin boat, then moved up to a 16'. Those boats have gotten a LOT of use, when I want to sneak out alone or with the boys to fish. So light and easy to deal with. Here is the latest one:

Resized_20230929_192440.jpeg

In 2020, a friend was moving and offered their old pontoon boat to me for $400. I thought I would clean it up and flip it, but took my wife for a ride, and that was it. Now that is HER boat. I play skipper, and she invites friends for evening cruises with grilled shrimp and steak dinners and so on. Really great for family. Sorry, no good pictures I would post on that one.

When we do a lake event, we often bring 2 boats if many or young people are involved. The pontoon acts as the mothership, and people get on and off of one of the smaller boats to wakeboard, tube or ski. We have some great times on the lake.

I hope you can find the right boat or maybe combinations of boats for your needs,

Attachments

• Resized_20190519_114906.jpeg
    Resized_20190519_114906.jpeg
    696.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Resized_20231008_110826.jpeg
    Resized_20231008_110826.jpeg
    98.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Resized_20231008_110620.jpeg
    Resized_20231008_110620.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 0
One thing that I and perhaps others may not fully appreciate are the waters where you will be boating. Do you go out under the Verrazzano bridge? For the family the big boat makes sense.

When I was younger we would spend a lot of time on SF Bay. For the family a larger boat was the ticket.

I'm not sure I would call it a "fantasy". I bet I'm not the only one with wonderful life memories with family and friends out on the water.

I had a similar situation as you describe. I've had a series of boats. The 19' bowrider got a LOT of use. Then, I moved up to a Grady White. It also got a lot of use and was very seaworthy and super comfortable. Eventually, it wasn't getting much use, so I sold it.

I hope you can find the right boat or maybe combinations of boats for your needs,
I edited your post to save the space:

I think what you are doing and have done describes my situation well. I saw great comparison in your story.

One thing that I and perhaps others may not fully appreciate are the waters where you will be boating. Do you go out under the Verrazzano bridge? For the family the big boat makes sense.

When I was younger we would spend a lot of time on SF Bay. For the family a larger boat was the ticket.
I've never boated in North Jersey before, up until now it has been Barnegat Bay and south down to Atlantic city mostly. AC was a great day trip, go down on the outside, dock @ a hotel, have lunch, gamble a little, take a taxi over to the boardwalk and then run back home on the inside.

Knowing myself I will first explore the sheltered waters around NY city then stretch my legs and run south. Going under the bridge isn't a big deal for me, what I want or hope to be able to do is head south to Pt. Pleasent or Keansburg, anchor up in the shallows and wade ashore for some lunch and amusements.

I found that the water downtown was rougher from all the water taxis, ferries, tugs and other boat traffic than the wind. Definitely way rougher than Barnegat bay.

For that area, I think your idea of a 22-24' boat is a solid choice, and I would lean toward the 24' end of things. Space, stability and layout are king when you have family with you.

Latest posts