What is this?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quackrstackr said:
DocWatson said:
Grits are about as appetizing to a northerner as Scrapple is to those who do not hail from the Mid-Atlantic region. A tasteless pile of white crap on your breakfast plate.

Regional delicacies are just that... regional. Anyone who has ever eaten Barbque in different areas knows that. What is food for the gods in one area is slop for the hogs in another.

Open your mind and eat what you like. :roll:

https://www.globalgourmet.com/food/sleuth/0998/scrapple.html#axzz10Ah9yQsf

Did you have a piece of scrapple gone bad this morning, Doc? :lol:
Nope.... GRITS !!!! :evil: :LOL2:

PA Germans call it Panhaus...the only part of the pig they didn't use was the squeel & the curl in the tail...

The stuff that doesn't go into scrapple is saved for the souse & head cheese, that's the nasty stuff...I remember my grandfather trying to get me to eat that when I was little; but I was too smart for him!

If you want to be really grossed out, scrapple is cooked, it can be eaten cold directly from the package though I'd only recommend that if you know who made it! The butcher who does our deer makes it and my cousin scarfs it down all the time. I just watch as I'll only eat it when it's fresh from the frying pan w/ some eggs but usually I stick to bacon.

I too hail from German decendants, we never ate, umm food like that. My grandparents made the trip as kids. Had plenty of authentic German food. Had Canibal sandwiches, ground beef (uncooked), chopped onion, on rye bread. I think that was the name, and no not hambuger, ground beef, kind of like roast beef but raw. My favorite was Bierocks.
https://www.tasty-german-recipe.com/bierocks-recipe.html

Today Bierocks give me gas. :mrgreen:

Being from Milwaukee the main food groups are Summer Sausage, Cheese, and Beer.
That right there is a meal. 8)

As promised gents...

scrapple.jpg

It's yellow (except for the cripsy, fried in bacon fat bits) as this is the recipe that's just cornmeal, onions, and neck bones. I'm telling ya, don't knock it 'till you've tried it!

I prefer my scrapple with a fair amount of salt, and Sriracha Hot Sauce ("Tuong Ot Sriracha" - the crazy oriental one with the rooster on the bottle). But as you can see, when I fry it up I like a little bit of everything. There's a bite with Sriracha, a bite with katsup, and a bite with maple syrup, that big slab under the bite-size pieces is just salt. YUM!

sriracha(3).jpg

DocWatson said:
Grits are about as appetizing to a northerner as Scrapple is to those who do not hail from the Mid-Atlantic region. A tasteless pile of white crap on your breakfast plate.

Regional delicacies are just that... regional. Anyone who has ever eaten Barbque in different areas knows that. What is food for the gods in one area is slop for the hogs in another.

Oh, and Doc...I'll have my wife sew up us some plaid "man"-aprons, you can come over one evening and make scrapple with the me and the boys. As it's a two day process, we'll wake up early in the morning, fry up some scrapple for breakfast, and go fishing. On the boat of course we'll smoke some tobacco in our pipes and invite Hanr3 to chat about his wife's purse party over summer sausage, cheese, and beer...I'm sure he can provide some insight on how to throw TB.net's first "tackle party".

Helluva time I tell ya, helluva time... :wink:

Holy Smokes...

Must sound like a trumpet training factory at night after eating that stuff.

azekologi said:
DocWatson said:

Oh, and Doc...I'll have my wife sew up us some plaid "man"-aprons, you can come over one evening and make scrapple with the me and the boys. As it's a two day process, we'll wake up early in the morning, fry up some scrapple for breakfast, and go fishing. On the boat of course we'll smoke some tobacco in our pipes and invite Hanr3 to chat about his wife's purse party over summer sausage, cheese, and beer...I'm sure he can provide some insight on how to throw TB.net's first "tackle party".

Are we gonna slaughter the hogs first, or just hit the butcher shop for some bones ?? :wink:
And I don't do tobacco. But I'll bring my pipe. :wink: :roll:

DocWatson said:
Are we gonna slaughter the hogs first, or just hit the butcher shop for some bones ?? :wink:
And I don't do tobacco. But I'll bring my pipe. :wink: :roll:

Either, I got a source for fresh hogs, and a local Mexican grocery store that sells neck bones and/or various pig parts. :shock:

Bring that pipe, as long as you share what you're smoking we're all good. :mrgreen:

And the wife does a bang-up job sewing aprons...she made me this gem last year for campin'/fishin' with the boys (didn't wanna get my good wifebeater dirty now did I? And heck, it goes great with my Sherpa-lined flannel hat!). [-X

Gotsta cook up my scrapple in style! 8)

apron-and-hat.jpg

azekologi said:
DocWatson said:

While wearing plaid of course.