What percentage of your boating is....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here. 100% Freshwater. None of my boats I have owned have ever seen saltwater or brackish water.

In recent years 100% freshwater lakes. Long time back I guess about 50% salt/brackish and 50% fresh. I guess I got tired of wind, tides, currents, & chop so I no longer go to SF Bay or the Delta. Probably should venture out on good days, especially when/if salmon season happens.

when I had a boat (in between boats right now) I fished about 50 / 50 between the two, I have to drive farther to get to 100% Salt Water but love fishing out of the Chesapeake Bay. Many of our rivers dump right into the Bay so we have brackish waters unless you are far-far away from the Bay; I have caught many a blue crab in the Chickahominy River almost up to Walkers Dam! Love fishing them both and my next boat will be set up the same way to fish both waters.

Historically, I fished 100% salt in FL.
When I moved to MD, I quit fishing, as it looked dismal compared to FL.
Then, I bought a 5wt. fly rod and started fishing for trout, bass, panfish- 100% fresh water
Then, a workmate talked me into going fishing on the Ches. Bay, and I loved it. 50/50 salt then!

Then, I got hooked on saltwater fishing again - 100% saltwater!

Then, we moved 2 hours from the bay and 3-4 hours from the ocean. Still 100% salt, but it slowed way, way down. I would save up and do a big trip, and we caught tons of beautiful fish. But the years drug on, fuel got expensive, and so on. I sold my Grady, downsized boats, but still made the trek.

Then, I realized that there were stripers in Lake Anna, and I would go on occasion, although 10 mins from home. 75% salt, 25% fresh.

Eventually, I got tired of all the trailering, and decided I liked crappie fishing. 50/50 fresh/salt

Then covid hit, fuel prices went crazy, and striper regulations became super-strict. Why drive 6 hours round trip to keep ONE fish? I can keep 4 in the lake. 90% freshwater, 10% salt, but I didn't fish much

Recently, I have a revived a desire to catch big striper again, although they aren't so plentiful. So I've made a couple of trips to the Bay, and we got them. So this year, I'm probably at 80% fresh, 20% saltwater fishing.

You asked...

Wait... You asked the percentage of BOATING, not fishing... sorry.

It's definitely 90% fresh, 10% salt. We take the pontoon out, we fish and we wakeboard and pull tubes behind all three of the boats in Lake Anna, 10 mins away. I only boat in SW when going fishing.

I use to fish and crab the Chesapeake bay a lot more before I moved to WV 8 years ago. Crab populations have really declined and dnr seems intent on regulating Rockfish to the point its not worth the hassle. This year I only have (1)3 day camping trip planned on the upper reaches of the bay and I doubt I target anything besides bait and giant blue cats while I'm there.

I live in Florida’s Nature Coast, the gulf coast region just above Tampa Bay. It’s an area with an abundance of springs, rivers, lakes, inshore gulf bays & inlets and easy direct offshore access. In a season I probably spend 40% in fresh and 60% salt. Sometimes all day in one or the other, but my favorite boating days include both! I have the good fortune to some days choose to launch in salt and boat into fresh, and other days the opposite. My favorite days are to take a grandchild fishing in the gulf in the morning, and then when it gets really hot, travel up a spring fed river to swim and cool off in the afternoon!IMG_6436.jpegIMG_6456.jpeg