What makes a good battery charger?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeviaanah

Reaction score
Just purchased my new trolling motor and battery. Needing to know proper charging technique to keep battery up to par. I have an old battery charger, how do I know if I should use it or go pay for a new one?

What is the advantage to having an on board battery charger? What do they do that a standard battery charger cant?

On board chargers are usually specifically designed for marine/deepcycle batteries. They will charge with a low amp process and they will also stop your battery from being overcharged.

A car charging battery can do the same thing depending on what you have. I charge my batteries on 2 amp trickle charge, not the 10 amp or higher charging rate. My batteries have always lasted a long time and I have always used a car charger. But keeping the correct water level in them and using distilled water is a must for long life : )

my charger has 2,10 20 30 40 amp rates,tells what % its at,has maintenance and pulse cycles, and reinforced activation mode,which helps decrystalize the plates.it also has optimal /remnant time mode.my old one was a dinosaur compared to this one.

Sounds like you have a pretty fancy charger. I have an older one that doesn't have near the options you have and I have never had issues with battery life. I say you are good and don not need an on board charger. The only other benefit to and onboard charger is it stays in the boat so you just have to get power to the boat and not have to get the charger out every time. This to me doesn't really matter that much.

Just about any marine onboard charger will be a 3-stage smart charger these days. I like the convience, vs using the auto charger. If you have, or plan to get a starting battery, get a two bank. If 2 or more banks, get one with seperate charge indicators. Most handle Flooded, AGM, and Gel, but check to make sure it works with the type you purchased. I have Guest chargers which are completly sealed, and can be submerged. Plenty of good brands out there.

Make sure you use the correct charger with the correct battery type - AGM's charge a little differently than wet cells, so having the correct charger for your battery will let you keeping having a great battery.

I use a Powermaster XS Power 1005 for all my charging stuff at home, but it's a hold over from other hobbies...