what should i get.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i have an older 13' valco and i want to put a outboard on it. I am thinking a 9.9 merc but wanted to know what you all think about a 15 merc, would it be to big for a boat of that size. thank you for any info.

With a 12 foot Gregor and modest weight in improvements, a 9.9 is just fine for one for one or even two riders ar 175 lbs each. With more weight I would add more ponies IF your local waters will allow it. Increasing hp may increase your minimum trolling speed if you use the OB for that. Check the capacity plate for max up rating...mine is good for 20hp.

Thank you for the info. I was asking because the plate on my boat is gone and did not want to over power the boat. It could be ugly because i fish the columbia river for fall coho and chinook with my 3 year old son
. Thanks agone.p

i have a older 1983 valco, 12 footer. it is rated at 20 hp so my guess is your tinny should be around the same? as for motors, the preferred brand would be a johnson / evinruude. nice slow idle and plenty of power. if your not going to troll i would go with a 20hp.
dino

id go with a Johnson/evinrude if it were me. and as posted above id go with the max HP rated...

dkonrai said:
as for motors, the preferred brand would be a johnson / evinruude.
Preferred by who? :lol: Just curious as to what issues you guys have had with a mercury motor that you think wouldn't have happened if you had owned a johnnyrude. To date I've owned 3 mercurys and 1 mercury mariner and have no complaints about any of them.

JMichael said:
dkonrai said:
Preferred by who? :lol: Just curious as to what issues you guys have had with a mercury motor that you think wouldn't have happened if you had owned a johnnyrude. To date I've owned 3 mercurys and 1 mercury mariner and have no complaints about any of them.

... just assume the implied source are "experts" and they have done "scientific research". (/sarcasm
Check the weight difference of a 10 compared to a 15 (4stroke). I'm pretty sure it's exactly the same powerhead.
So, might as well go for the 15hp.

JMichael said:
dkonrai said:

Ford,Chevy, Dodge.......Merc, Rude , Suzuki........Blonds , Brunettes , Redheads :LOL2:
Its whatever ya like in my book. I'd take the Dodge, Redhead and Evinrude. =D>

Charger25 said:
JMichael said:
dkonrai said:

Ford,Chevy, Dodge.......Merc, Rude , Suzuki........Blonds , Brunettes , Redheads :LOL2:
Its whatever ya like in my book. I'd take the Dodge, Redhead and Evinrude. =D>

as for why a johnnyrude? parts are cheap, easy to find. extremely reliable. easy to maintain, good idle, smooth running. i have had mercs in the past and still own one today. merc parts are hard to find and overall more costly to maintain (impeller, carb kits are really expensive). merc has changed their motor and carb designs over the years so it can be challenging to find parts.

then there is the 2 vs 4 stroke. i only run 2 strokes. i use synthetic oil so it smokes less and it breaks down. weight factor, a 70's series johnnyrude 20/25 hp motor with a manual start will only weigh 82 pounds. a new 4 stroke 15 hp is in 130-150 pound range. simple math really
dino

Latest posts