What size battery can I get away with using on my troller?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fudoshin

Reaction score
I have a new motor guide 40 thrust tiller trolling motor that is on my 12' john boat, what type of battery can I use that is smaller than the typical marine deep cycle because I don't want to jam a bunch of weight in the boat with a huge battery? Any idea's are appreciated.

38lbs is still quite a bit of weight, I converted this boat into a bass boat https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26016 so I don't want to add a huge battery, I was wondering if the personal watercraft batteries for say a jet ski and what not would work or if I'm wasting my money with that?

Those pwc batteries are just for cranking the motor. Trolling motor would kill that battery in no time. What about the optima batteries... Maybe someone can chime in on their weight..

yeah that's what I figured, just wasn't sure if it would work, I don't want to be a dead duck in the cribs..lol..well thanks for the advice I'll look at my options and just have to go with the lesser.

Fudoshin , if you can move the battery so you are not bow hevy or sturn hevy and keep you stable.
but if you are at your limit be for your battery you might think about over all lighting up your deck.