What the heck are Bilge Transom Shims?!?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i ASSUME TO ANGLE PICKUP DOWNWARDS MORE?

I'm changing livewell pump on transom and these are cracked, how do you use these I wasn't paying attention and can goole little info-help?

THESE-https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AYFHQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is that the nut gasket and THEN shim? Won't that leak?

Also, what is the end cap looking thing, mine was broke off and dunno what that is, mable like those live well scoops? To force propulsion water thru.

Yeah I've seen many,many boats, 1st time for that... I guess it's for spreading weight too.

I saw it and thought immediately, someone over drilled or ripped the hole too big, and juryed it up!

Yeah, now that you ask, the pictured install sequence seems to use the shims as a gasket. Sorry, I don't known the answer.

I suspect the "end cap looking thing" is a strainer.

From what I read, these pumps are not self-priming and an air lock could occur if tilted up too much. Hence the need for the shims. Have you considered a different brand? I noted Shoreline has one with an angled intake that looks like it would not require shims.

Keep in mind, my knowledge and experience is all of two days old and is courtesy of google :):). Hopefully someone can weigh in on the install sequence.

I thought the same as you, DaleH.

I've installed many livewell pumps, and never saw one that needed the angled shims as shown, as long as your pump outlet is facing UP. Maybe it would help if you had to face it sideways for some reason.

In most transoms, your livewell pickup is at least 3-4" underwater when the boat is at rest, so vapor lock is not very likely, as water pressure would fill the pump up pretty instantly, as long as your outlet sprayer @ the tank isn't shut off.

I've had people bring me livewell pumps that "didn't work" and when I tested them, the outlet was closed. Open them up and all works well. Those small centrifugal pumps generally won't burn out unless you leave them on for hours at a time, so no harm done.

I thought the same as you, DaleH.

I've installed many livewell pumps, and never saw one that needed the angled shims as shown, as long as your pump outlet is facing UP. Maybe it would help if you had to face it sideways for some reason.

In most transoms, your livewell pickup is at least 3-4" underwater when the boat is at rest, so vapor lock is not very likely, as water pressure would fill the pump up pretty instantly, as long as your outlet sprayer @ the tank isn't shut off.

I've had people bring me livewell pumps that "didn't work" and when I tested them, the outlet was closed. Open them up and all works well. Those small centrifugal pumps generally won't burn out unless you leave them on for hours at a time, so no harm done.

Sounds like the OP has an oblong hole where the old shimmed pump was. If that isn't an issue, I think I would do exactly what you say -- install without the shims. Outlet facing up make sense.

I think the guys were not idiots with a drill With a larger hole they could angle it down more without digging into threads??

Matching the transom angle? IDK Weird.

Guess I'll permatex every surface and snug down?

They sell it to replace an OE one...