What will blow up?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbaffaro

Reaction score
I am looking for a way to wire my single bank onboard battery charger. Right now I have to go through and unscrew the connections so that I can charge different batteries. I don't see a problem with this but I am thinking there might be one. What I would do is wire up a 15amp switch to each battery. With the charger unplugged I would just turn 'on' the battery I want charged. When I want to charge another one, unplug the charger, turn all the switches off then go to the next battery. None of the batteries are wired in parallel and they are all on their own circuit. The only problem that I see right now is that they share a common ground, but all of the batteries should share a common ground at some point anyways.

Attachments

• charger diagram.JPG
    charger diagram.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 615
Just curious what your batteries are used for.
Probably one TM,one starting and one electronics?

Looks like it should work,even if 2(3) switches were accidently left on together,there in parallel.It's not a good practise to charge batteries in different states of discharge but they shouldn't blow if it were to happen by accident.

If one is a starting batttery,does your outboard help keep it charged?
If the other is for electronics or maybe lights?
Maybe one of these would work to help top off the batteries:
https://www.nextag.com/Schumacher-Electric-Traditional-1-79157281/prices-html

It shoudl work fine the way you have it

Or

explosion.png

Well two are for my trolling motor and one is the starting battery. I was thinking that if i made this permanent i would want to charge my starting battery during the winter(charger is also a maintainer) the two trolling motor batteries work independent of each other i'm just going to keep them that way to keep things simple

There no problem in how you have it there.(just make sure switches are off before starting).
If the switches to the starting battery and another get left on by accident,when you go to start it,theres the possiblity of the wires getting hot because the batteries would be in parallel.Not the starting battery wire but the TM wiring.Probably won't happen but just to be sure.
Did you say what size outboard your running?

I have a 2000 60hp

The main reason for doing this is to charge the trolling motor batteries when they run down during the season. But right now i would like to maintain all three batteries so when the season does come they are all ready. but it looks like this little project has taken a back seat to my aerator pump and bilge pump.

Ok,
I don't want to have 3 topics on the front page so I am just going to bump this one. There are probably going to be alot of questions in here.

I was thinking about running one battery as just my starting battery, then another for just my electronics, then another for the trolling motor. But, I would like to charge my electronics and starting battery while the boat is running. They are not the same battery and they aren't even the same size. I have a feeling that we are going to be doing a lot of night fishing and are going to be running the lights and live well pump.

The way that the boat has been set up is that there is some sort of battery selector for the trolling motor at the helm it says battery one and battery two. I have a red wire running from it to the trolling motor and to the battery and an orange wire that does the same thing. Is my trolling motor 12/24. Would I be better off using my trolling motor at 24 and leaving my accessories on the starting battery?

This is all very confusing and I don't know the best way to go about some of this stuff.

Hopefully you can decipher this and help me out some more.

The way it sounds you have 2 batteries that can run your 12 volt trolling motor the switch is to switch batteries when battery 1 starts to die (lose power) you switch to battery two. there is n real need to have separate batteries for your cranking and electronic livewell lighting needs. one quality dual purpose battery will be fine.
I run 2 750gph live wells 2 750 recirculating pumps a Lowrance 332c gps depth finder and a lcx27c gps depth finder storage lighting and nav lights and also have to crank a yamaha 225hpdi all on a single size 27 dual purpose battery

Wayne

Latest posts