Where to mount fish finder

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrispbrown27

Reaction score
I am trying to decide how I want to mount my fish finder. I know I want it on the rear bench seat, but can't decide exactly how and where to put it. I was wanting to see some pictures of where everyone else has theirs back near the rear bench. Thanks in advance
Chris

I dont have any pics but I mounted my ff on the first rib in front of my rear deck. I used a ram mount screwed to the rib near the top of the rib. this way I can see it while running outboard,and anyone fishing on rear deck can also see it or turn it if need be.

im having the same dillema, got my wiring done, have several mounts, just trying to get the "RIGHT" spot (14ft 3 bnch boat) , i'll post my findings and photo's as soon as i mount mine, maybe it will help ? :)

I am debating a RAM mount, but hate to spend money on something so simple and I haven't seen one exactly like I want. I am trying to figure out a way to build something that swivels and is extended so I don't have to move my head much from looking straight ahead when running the motor but also moves out of the way when not in use.
Chris

fyi. there are mounts out ther that bend and flex, you may need to make your own mounting plate for the head unit .
i have one i'm considering using, if i do i'll be sure and post some pics

chrispbrown27 said:
I am debating a RAM mount, but hate to spend money on something so simple and I haven't seen one exactly like I want. I am trying to figure out a way to build something that swivels and is extended so I don't have to move my head much from looking straight ahead when running the motor but also moves out of the way when not in use.
Chris
You could mount something like this RAM Swing Arm Mount to a rib. Or maybe this one?

They also make horizontal swing arm mounts you could mount to the bench.

Just so you know, these mounts don't tilt the finder, only swivel it. Tilt is dependent on the finder's base.

When I was setting up my boat I went through the same dilemma, but came to the conclusion that mounting the fish finder on the middle bench made more sense. I do a lot of trolling, so I had to imagine it this way. Sitting in my seat on the rear bench, kicking back with my feet up on the middle bench, trolling along, do I really want to be looking down at my fish finder or looking ahead at both the fish finder and where I'm going. True, I have to lean forward to adjust it but once set I usually don't have to touch it anymore. So I mounted it on the starboard (right) side of the middle bench and it works good for me and it's out of the way so it doesn't get bumped, kicked, fish goo'ed, etc.

just my .02 worth.

I played this game myself, and the right location really becomes a matter of personal preference. Certainly good suggestions above. I found it helpful to mount the ff on a piece of ply with the wiring loose in the boat. Then I could easily try various locations while actually fishing/running by just moving the piece of ply. Once I located the "best" spot I did a permanent mount.

Went to gander mountain today and looked at the RAM mounts. They all seemed too short to me, then I saw a RAM trolling motor stabilizer on sale. It's not all that much longer but it was cheaper than the regular FF mounts and it does give me an inch or two more. I had to modify it slight so it would work with the FF mount, I simply drilled a hole through the portion that would normally contact the trolling motor shaft and ran a bolt through there and into a small piece of plywood. I decided to mount it on the left side where I have some what skinned the side of the boat and mounted my electrical box and my onboard charger will go when it arrives. Sitting on the trailer in the yard I love it, but when I get it on the water I will find out for sure.
Chris

I'm not sure the make and model of your fish finder. I mounted my Humminbird 587 to a little console I made for the back bench seats last year. I wanted to see the finder when using the tiller because of trolling purposes and marking underwater structure. The base that came with the unit swivles and the screen is big and bright enough that I can see it from the bow when I am fishing. You probably could just rig up a small wooden base to the bottom of the fish finder to raise it off of the bench.

Latest posts