Which handheld GPS?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babills

Reaction score
I want to get a handheld GPS to mount on my bench seat next to my fish finder on my bench seat in my 14 ft lone star. Which current production GPS is the best? I have been reading a lot of reviews but man there is so much info out there its a lot of reading. I will also take it out ice fishing and hunting, Thanks Denny

if you're wanting to use the HH gps for other outdoor activities, then any garmin HH that suits your fancy/needs/pocketbook will work. You can get a FF w/ gps for $200 right now from bps or cabelas (B&W) as some HH's can go for $300+.

Troller. Thanks for your input. I just bought a lowrance x4 DSI color FF for the boat I could have bought I combo but the screens on the ones I could afford are little, and I didn't like how small they were when they split. I am wanting to keep everything fairly small and removable so this is the route I have decided on. I am an avid ice fisherman so the HH will be great for finding those hot holes and structure I find in the summer. Garmin is the way I was leaning too, but the new magellans look good too. Thanks for your input.

If you didn't like the small screen size when using split screen on the FF, you probably won't like the small screen of the HH GPS. While I've never owned a magellan GPS, several people I know from deer camp bought them back when they were first showing up on the market. They were less expensive than other brands but most of those guys that bought one back then were unhappy with it for one reason or another. They've probably improved since then but I'd do a little research on reviews of them before I purchased one.

It's easy to flip/switch between the different pages on those FF, so you would not have to use the split screen all the time, and they have the "MOB" button so you can mark a hot spot with the push of one button. Should go and look/play with 'em at a local store if all possible.

I have decided on the Garmin Oregon 550. I really wanted something I can take ice fishing too. this looks to be a decent unit for my needs. I realized you can switch screens the other day when I played with them at BPS. so your advice was spot on TNtroller. But the portability is pretty important to me.

Latest posts