Which ONE ?? '94 Yammie OR '06 Johnson ??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aaron -

I am mechanically inclined to a point , but honestly not prepared or confidant enough to tear into a lower unit...if I had an old motor to play with , just to tear apart and see how things work , I may do it , but to tear into my Main motor, never having done it before, is more than I am willing to bite off..... costly, yes, but I have to leave this to those who know what they are doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n68sb7w-3Hw

Exactly the same as this F25. In fact, best I remember, the F25 and the 30 two stroke use the same foot.

It's easy. If more than $75-$100 is charged, find someone else to do it.

Turbotodd -

WOW! Thank you !!! That video was great!

Watching and listening , being shown step by step, just boosted my confidence by 1000 % ! I am not very intune with what You Tube has to offer, but I am DEFINITELY going to start searching YouTube for any future projects.

THANK YOU for taking the time to offer your valuable advice and help.

Not to dig up an old thread but to add something in case someone is searching on Johnson Motors-

Johnson did not "Go Out Of Business" in 2007. Evinrude/Johnson was bought out of Bankruptcy by BRP in late 2000. They built the Johnson motors side by side with the Evinrudes in Wisconsin. years ago, when Johnson and Evinrude combined to form OMC, and for years after that you had "Johnson" dealers and "Evinrude" dealers. This way competing dealers in the same town had different motors to sell (Even though they weren't all that different) this continued until the bankruptcy. When BRP took over you didn't have "Johnson" or "Evinrude" dealers anymore you had BRP dealers that sold either/or. there were no "Lower quality" Johnson motors in the "Final Days" the plant wasn't closing. people weren't losing jobs, they just kept building the motors but they were all Evinrudes from that point on. A Johnson motor is going to be exactly like an Evinrude, which has proven to be a good motor.

Had to add this because I would hate to see someone influenced by half truths and flat out lies.

turbotodd said:
The Yamaha-is it twin cylinder or 3? If 3 does it have oil injection (Autolube)?

The 3 cylinder Yamaha's are nearly indestructible. I've NEVER had one on the shop for anything but carb cleaning-from sitting for years on end. Never a powerhead failure, ever. Have had a few 25's in for powerheads and a few small motors, and one C150 Yamaha, but never a 30 triple. I prefer a Yamaha myself over most of the other motors but it's because I work on a lot less Yamahas then I do OMC's, Merks, Suzi's, and Tohatsu's.

OMC went belly-up we all know that. They built some good engines no doubt. Couple things I don't like. First off IIRC, they are 2 cylinder single carb-which compared to the 3 cyl 3 carb Yamaha, runs pretty rough. And noisy. But simpler in design by a little bit. The other thing I don't like applies to all OMC outboards. They went belly-up which gives me the feeling of corporate instability. I wouldn't want to invest a month's worth of my salary (which is about what your seller is asking for his JohnnyRude) into something that may or may not have enough support to give you the parts you need, IF you need any. Yamaha is not going anywhere other than making a bunch of 4 stroke engines. But the US EPA has their hands in on that.

there is one reason and one reason only why you see more OMC's in your shop, they are the most reliable best built OB;s ever made and there are still a bazillion of them from the the 70's to present that still run strong.....so im for the jhonson! that being said just about any OB will last a very long time if people just keep up on simple maintenance but as we all know this is not always the case...as for parts for OMC's, you can find just about any part you will need if not new theres tons of excellent used parts floating around.....my .02 cents

PBRMINER said:
Not to dig up an old thread but to add something in case someone is searching on Johnson Motors-

Johnson did not "Go Out Of Business" in 2007. Evinrude/Johnson was bought out of Bankruptcy by BRP in late 2000. They built the Johnson motors side by side with the Evinrudes in Wisconsin. years ago, when Johnson and Evinrude combined to form OMC, and for years after that you had "Johnson" dealers and "Evinrude" dealers. This way competing dealers in the same town had different motors to sell (Even though they weren't all that different) this continued until the bankruptcy. When BRP took over you didn't have "Johnson" or "Evinrude" dealers anymore you had BRP dealers that sold either/or. there were no "Lower quality" Johnson motors in the "Final Days" the plant wasn't closing. people weren't losing jobs, they just kept building the motors but they were all Evinrudes from that point on. A Johnson motor is going to be exactly like an Evinrude, which has proven to be a good motor.

Had to add this because I would hate to see someone influenced by half truths and flat out lies.

excatly! you said what i was gonna but i didnt wanna hijack his thread. thanks for clearing that up for whoever thought anything different. oh and i think theyre built in waukegan.....(spelling might be wrong lol)